Question Slow start and poor performance with Vega 56

Jan 13, 2020
It does nothing that I bought a Vega 56 because my old GPU was failing (NVIDIA GTX 660). Yesterday I installed it and everything went relatively well.

I installed the drivers, the AMD software and even played a game, then I turned off the computer. Today I went to turn on my PC and it has been a long time with a "No signal" . After approximately one minute, the image of the motherboard appears and it showed me the Windows 10 login.

Once I'm on the desktop, I notice that the graph of the GPU (Vega 56) is in constant use of 10% -20% and suddenly goes to 100% on idle states. The computer and the mouse are also slow and some games don't start and the other are 1~5 fps.

Its takes minute to get into the bios setup, and once in there, everything is very slow.

I have done several tests:

1. Putting my old GPU everything works fine.
  2. Without GPU everything works fine.
  3. I try with a new PSU (700W Thermaltake TR-2 80plus Bronze) and I have the same issue.
  4. I try another CPU, and the same Issue. But in the beginning the problems seems solved. Then I reboot and it started again.
  5. I try with another RAM sticks, and the same issue. But in the beginning the problems seems solved. Then I reboot and it started again.

I hope someone can help me, thanks for your time.

-

[POWER SUPPLY] Cooler Master 700W 80plus / Thermaltake Tr-2 700W 80plus Bronze
[CPU] Intel Core i7-4790 Socket 1150
[MOTHERBOARD] Gigabyte GA-Z97X-D3H
[HDD] Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB SATA3 64MB
[SSD] WD Green 3d 240GB
[RAM] G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 4x8GB CL9 / Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4x8GB
[NEW GPU] AsRock AMD RX VEGA 56 (8GB) Phantom Gaming OC
[OLD GPU] Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5

Jan 13, 2020
Did you run Display Driver Uninstaller and remove all of the nVidia drivers ? It's important to follow the directions...including disconnecting your internet until the new drivers are installed so Windows update doesn't mess up the process.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Hello! Yes, I did that. But it is something else because the computer spend a long time until it start the booting, and got ignited, then it get stuck a long time in the motherboard logo. And if a get into the bios setup it spent a long time and in there everything is really slow and graphics appears slow, in an odd way....

Jan 19, 2020
You could check in bios if PCI-E frequency and voltages are correct and if it is set to 3.0 Speed. Sometimes graphic cards somehow get misread by the motherboard and it puts the PCI-E Slot in a sort of "debug mode" running only at PCI-E 2.0 or even slower.

by the way:
Please do not use Vega graphic cards without undervolting them manually.