Slow start up of windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard226

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I hope someone here can shed some light on a problem that is making me pull my hair out. I have recently upgraded my computer and it was all running perfectly and booting into windows in about 15 seconds and then was good to go. However Now it is a completly different story it boots into windows in about 15 seconds but then over the network icon bottom right a blue cirlce appears and takes 2 minutes for the computer to respond. If i even try and run any programs (not just internet) it wont load them till after the blue cirlce goes.

Another issue that appears sometimes is that if i try and open too many programs on the boot it will tell me windows explorer failed.

one other issue that did happen was that it was having a kernal power failour however since i have removed a Power consumption meter this problem has gone away so i think that was a separate issue.

system specs are

I7 950 GHZ 3.06 OC to 4.0 (i have tried running it with no over clock and no luck)
Sabertooth x58
Vertex2 160gb
1tb Spinpoint 1TB x2
6GB ram

I have tried the following

Uninstalled and reinstalled the network drivers
Disabled Marvel drivers (as they are busted on the sabertooth x58)
Disabled all start up processes through MS config
Switched off the router and tried booting just incase the system was having issues that way
I tried running services.msc on boot to see if any of the processes were having troubles on boot but the system will not open it until that blue circle goes away. I could select all of them to delayed start but this is not really a solution more of a pain in the backside!

I am starting to run out of ideas and would be really gratefull if someone has experienced this before or better yet fixed the problem.

Thanks for everyones help

Solution
use it..
selective start-up mode and then clear all except required / necessary executable's to run.
also look for any items in start-up that do not make sense and look abnormal,
those are viruses that made it into your system files.. OUCH.
un-check all of those and then reboot, see how that runs.

take note of all the possible viruses and / or spyware (write them down), then boot into safe mode and attempt to delete them..
Sounds to me like Windows is trying to connect to a network that doesn't exist or is unreachable. Have a look at your active network connections and see if there is something unexpected in there. Also open up Task Manager on startup (if possible) to see what is keeping your system occupied.

Richard226

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I thought that was the case and so i deactivated Media center on windows as it was connected to my xbox which is not always on. It didnt make a difference. I will have to wait till later to check the Task manager as i am stuck at work at the moment. But im not sure how by looking at the task manager i can see what it is stuck on as they will show either runnning or not.

Richard226

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I have just been thinking about what i have changed recently that could have caused this error and i have added a fan controller on the front and a drive bay adapter which USB3, USB2 and SD memory slots...... This surely cant be causing the computer to stuggle to detect the network?

verbalizer

Distinguished
use it..
selective start-up mode and then clear all except required / necessary executable's to run.
also look for any items in start-up that do not make sense and look abnormal,
those are viruses that made it into your system files.. OUCH.
un-check all of those and then reboot, see how that runs.

take note of all the possible viruses and / or spyware (write them down), then boot into safe mode and attempt to delete them..

Solution

verbalizer

Distinguished

that's a possibility..

Richard226

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I have fixed it! It turned out that due to the kernal power failours the sytem needed to get the registry files cleaned. As soon as i did that it was good to go and works lilke a dream. Thanks for you help guys

borgus

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
And what 'cleaner' did you use to fix the problem? I see exactly the same behavior here,
on a system that has had reported power failures in the past. CC cleaner did nothing.

Richard226

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Well it did fix it but now after a 2 reboots the problem has come back. I used Macecraft jv16 powertools software as it was recomended by Kapersky. I had a new problem this time with the whole system going nuts and all core systems failing in windows with it not even allowing me to ctl-alt-del! i am going to reinstall windows and start again.

borgus

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Microsoft Security Essentials was causing the lag here. After adding the exclusions described in this article the problem ceased...
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/69294.aspx

verbalizer

Distinguished

if you do a clean install then pay close attention to install as per timelines.
this way when something happens you can perform a restore next time..

Status
Not open for further replies.