Slow start-up, then hard drive disappears

D

Deleted member 270419

Hi everyone!

My computer is a year old. When I built it, I used a new harddrive for booting, but also stuck in my harddrive from an old computer in G: as the slave (I think that's the term? I'm still new to hardware lingo). This old hard drive is a 6 year old Western Digital . . I have this SpeedFan program that said it was running pretty hot compared to the new drive, even though I rarely accessed it and just kept it there for back up.

In the past week, my computer is suddenly taking much longer to shut down and start up. Usually it takes less than a minute, but this morning it took over 30 minutes!

I went into the event viewer and found these errors and warnings this morning:
- The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.
- The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.
- The default transaction resource manager on volume G: encountered an error while starting and its metadata was reset. The data contains the error code.
- The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, is not ready for access yet.
- An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.
- The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.
- The default transaction resource manager on volume G: encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.

These errors repeat over and over until finally, after the last error message, it says:
- One or more of the Plug and Play service's subsystems has changed state.

. . then my computer booted as usual, but that old harddrive in G: no longer shows up!

Before booting up, I tried unplugging and replugging the harddrive in but still didn't work.

I scanned through the events and looks like the errors date back to June, but back then, there were only one or two errors and didn't seem to stall the computer at all and my harddrive still showed up. I think it's only in the last day or two when things started really stalling that my G: drive disappeared.

So does this mean my old hard drive is toast? Or do you think it's something else?

Thanks in advance!

with the pc on and running do you feel the old drive springing?? if it not springing or it spinning up and down then it may have failed. also download hd tune and d tests tools. see if the smart info shows your drive as bad. if it a mbr or partion issues you can try using hirens boot cd and see if any of the tools can fix your hard drive.if not you have to replace the drive. and then try to recover the data yourself or pay to have it recovered.

D

Deleted member 270419

Thanks for the responses. I tried to run HDD Scan but it doesn't detect the drive; it basically doesn't show up anymore in My Computer.

I had a drive fail before and it made weeks of clicking sounds before it finally burnt out. But this hard drive hasn't made any noise yet. I touched it while the computer was booting up and could still feel the spindles spinning fine. Do you think it could be motherboard related?

if it an ide drive it could be the ide controller does not like the old drive or there an issue between the old drive and new drive.
if it is an ide drive you can try using a usb to ide cable to pull the data off the drive or see if friend has a old ide encloser you can use. most times when drive just stop showing up and there moving...something on the drive pcb has failed. cheap fix is to look on ebay for the same model drive that dead and swap out the pcb and see if it comes back. if it a sata drive any of the sata ports should see it without an issue. if they cant and the other drives are working..it a controllers issue on the drive.