Question Slow start-up

Dec 19, 2021
Hi there,

I have a decent PC which doesn't boot faster than 50 seconds with a powerful NVME SSD. I've tried, i believe, all tutorials on the internet, but no solution yet.

After BIOS screen (the one displaying what button you have to press to enter in BIOS) i get a loading screen for 30 or more seconds. It has the MOBO logo and a circular loading animation under it.

I'm running a Ryzen 5600G, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM and as a primary boot a WD Black m.2 NVME 1TB.

Thank you

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
circle means windows is loading but it shouldn't take that long on nvme.
just as slow loading into safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
What motherboard?

Reactions: drewzx
Dec 19, 2021
circle means windows is loading but it shouldn't take that long on nvme.
just as slow loading into safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
What motherboard?

In safe mode it took around 5 seconds, which is way, way faster than normal.

I have a B550 Tomahawk, running 7C91vA7 BIOS version and Windows 11. I must mention that I have tried to disable/enable fast boot in BIOS, and it does not improve my boot times. I have enabled fast boot in windows setting too. All i have modified in BIOS' settings was XMP (besides fast boot option)

Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you have newest chipset drivers,

what other hardware is attached to PC? any external drives? what USB? slow down could be the pc waiting for hardware to reply

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Dec 19, 2021
I just updated the chipset drivers, same boot times as before.

I tried to disconnect the HDD and my USB Hub to see if it can boot faster but no.

I need to mention that i have upgraded my PC to this configuration fairly recent (a month ago). Only my GPU and RAM weren't changed. Could the GPU/RAM cause this slow boot?

LE: Just seen your reply, i will check that now.

Dec 19, 2021
if you have newest chipset drivers,

what other hardware is attached to PC? any external drives? what USB? slow down could be the pc waiting for hardware to reply

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

So, these are all the drivers.

I have an USB Hub (keyboard - using 2 usb ports, mouse charging dock, xbox controller charging dock and a bluetooth adapter), in the back I have connected the USB hub, 2 wireless adapters for mouse and headphones and a Wi-Fi adapter. No external HDDs.

Dec 19, 2021
You lucky enough to have a 5600G so you could remove GPU and see if PC boots any faster without it
its an easy test.

ram shouldn't cause PC to be slow to boot once you in windows. Its not a behavior I would blame on ram.

Just tried it. Nothing changed, still slow.

The second i turn on the PC the CPU led turns on, after 1-2s it turns off and then the VGA turns on for 1-2s. Is it normal?

LE: When the loading logo appears, my keyboard lights up, then after 2-3s it turns off and then it lights up again after 10s or so. Like its trying to power all my USB devices, fails, then tries again.
LE2: "Turn on fast start-up" from power options is disabled, not enable how i've stated previously. Should I try to reinstall my windows and see if anything happens? Maybe install win10 instead of 11.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are keyboard and mouse? the slow down can be anything

try starting with no USB attached

unusual for it to be PSU.
I would expect ram to slow down boot before windows started
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

its not gpu as it happens regardless

Beta bios just turns on tpm and secure boot and fixes problems they have found with Secure boot. It shouldn't be reason for slow startup

try running this on nvme - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=279 run short/long tests

Dec 19, 2021
Ok so, i've run those tests, no problem was found. Updated the firmware for my peripherals (i've seen a thread where that was the solution).

However, when i disconnect ALL my USBs, and I mean ALL, it starts in 22 seconds instead of 44. If i have 1 USB connected to the mobo or the front panel, it starts in 44.

It's quite strange that it boots in exactly half the time. And even then it's slow for NVME.

KB: Razer Huntsman Elite
Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate (wireless)

If it can boot in windows - with all USBs connected - in less than 5 seconds using safe mode, i believe i should get at least 15 on a normal boot...

LE: THIS screen is displayed for 30 seconds. Sometimes it's displayed for 2-3 seconds, the screen turns black for 2-3 seconds and then the loading animation (without MAG logo) appears for 20-25 seconds.

Last edited: