Question Slow startup after updating Nvidia driver

Aug 18, 2022
Hi there. I'm facing a really annoying issue after updating to the latest Nvidia 516.94 driver. I had to update to the latest driver in order to play Spiderman Remastered properly.

I'm gonna try my best to explain it here. Context: I use 2 monitors - 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort.

As soon as I log into my account in Windows, my pointer will be invisible, but I can still use it, but as soon as I try to click something, it will freeze the system. The only solution I found so far for it to unfreeze, is to switch screens using "Win + P" (either Extended mode, PC only, etc..). It will freeze for a while, it will show some artifacts on my screen, and after 1~2min it will unfreeze and I can finally use my computer normally with no issues. So you can see that only happens after booting it up/restarting it.

I used to use the 471.68 driver and it worked flawlessly. I even tried using the 472.12 one and it also works with no issue, so the main problem here is the 516.94 one. Should I just accept my fate for now and go back to the 472.12 one or is there some light in the end of the tunnel for me on this one? haha

My specs:
  • Win 10 Education 21H2 Build 19044.1889
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor, 3701 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
  • Graphic Card: GTX 970 Gigabyte Windforce 4GB
  • MOBO: TUF GAMING A520M-PLUS / BIOS 1801
  • 16gb RAM (3600Mhz)
  • Monitors: ASUS VL279 / Dell U2412M
Could someone please help me with this?

Please let me know if you need further info about something

EDIT: Completely forgot to mention the installation process. I always use DDU to uninstall/install old and new drivers on Safe Mode, to make sure it's as clean as possible

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022
how did you install the driver?
try a fresh install

if this doesn´t fix it use ddu uninstaller to remove the nvidia driver completely and reinstall it again
I'm sorry, I totally forgot to mention that. I did use DDU, tried more than once actually. All the same result in the end :/