[SOLVED] Slow Transfer Rate to Network Drives?

Billiam1391

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2013
I am pretty clueless to network drives but I set up a network drive yesterday hoping to download directly to the drive from my laptop so I could stream 4K Remux files on my Nvidia shield but the transfer rate is only 3.5-5MB/s when transfering files and only 1MB/s when downloading directly to the drive. The drive is a Samsung M3 1TB drive which has transfer rate of 110MB/s when plugged directly into the laptop. The modem is an Archer C59. I can't understand why the transfer rate is so low. I was hoping it would just work right away. I havent changed or updated any network drivers but I did change the SMB1 check box so I could map the drive. Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.

Billiam1391

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2013
'network drive'...connected how?

Please give us some more info on this whole system and setup.
It's connected directly to the modems USB, once that was one I set it up with a password in the TPLink website and mapped the drive with a letter in Windows which asked me for the username and password I set. As I mentioned I really don't know much about this, I was hoping my setup would be fine. Is there something specific I can check to give you more info?

Billiam1391

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2013
That is usually a very slow connection.
The modem/router CPU is very limited, and has a tiny brain.

Seeing very slow performance, when downloading AND saving to that drive at the same time...that is not unexpected.

What is that connection good for?
Not much, but it IS accessible.
So the download rate of 1MB/s is expected for what I have set up? I was hoping to get a WD Home Cloud but if those speeds are expected I'll leave it off.