Question Slow transfer speeds between Crucial MX 500 SSD and Crucial P3 Plus NVMe M.2 SSD ?

IntrepidBongos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
My complaint is file specific to .nks and .nkx files from a musical application called native instruments, and are rather large content files.
Purchased my NVMe P3 plus, installed it last night and tested it, (It is Gen4 plugged into a Gen4 slot on my MSI motherboard with an i9 Intel processor, on a system that has 64GB RAM) and got an average of 1GB/s Between my Samsung EVO 970, and the Crucial MX500 SSD.
Today transferring these particular files from a crucial MX500 SSD to my NVMe drive, I can't get anything higher than 45 MB/s trying to transfer said large content files. Note I noticed even slower 10 MB/s when it finally got to the smaller files.
Is this common, and is there anything to be done about it?

Or Maybe I should put it this way:
How long should 1TB of large media files take to copy from a Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD, to an installed P3 Plus NVMe M.2 SSD on a computer with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900F CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz?

Thanks!
IB

IB

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, there are a few things that could be happening.

2.5" drive is connected to a SATA controller. Do you know if this is from the CPU or the motherboard chipset?

Well, i9-10900F doesn't support PCIe 4.0, so that isn't likely to be working the way you think. What is the exact motherboard? No LGA1200 board I know of supports PCIe 4.0, only the CPU direct lanes 1 M.2 slot and the 2 main x16 slots is typical, and the M.2 slot shouldn't work without an 11th gen CPU.

Your other NVMe drive is certainly connected to the motherboard chipset. Which means that they could conceivably directly access each other.

If your SATA drive is connected to the CPU's controllers, then it has to go through DMI to get to the chipset.

And the other is how full your drives are. Once you have saturated the onboard cache (if present) and the SLC mode commonly applied to TLC and QLC drives, then it will slow down as it has to consolidate bits rather than just writing 1 per cell.

logainofhades

Titan
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the P3 Plus is a dram-less drive. Large file transfers don't do well, on such drives. 10th gen doesn't support 4.0, and any 500 series board's 4.0 slot is not going to be enabled, unless an 11th gen chip is installed.

TRENDING THREADS