Question Slow upload. Old pc. Would pc upgrade help to stream?

_PSIhawk

Honorable
Feb 28, 2014
MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8370
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
RAM: 16gb

Internet is Centrylink
40 down 3-4 upload
(small town and this is the fastest available and the only ISP)

I used to stream on Twitch when I lived in a bigger town with faster internet and I know that my current pc setup can stream 720 @30 fps with no problem. I have streamed Elderscrolls Online, Neverwinter, Grand Theft Auto V, Battlefield V and various other games. Now, with slower internet uploads I get about 40-50 % dropped frames using both OBS and Streamlabs OBS on Twitch and even on Youtube gaming.

Question is, there is nothing I can do to upgrade internet speed as this is the best available, would upgrading my pc help at all? And if so what would be the most help to upgrade? GPU, CPU or what? I do know that the CPU I have is the best I can put on the M5A97 and if I upgrade GPU I would need new MOBO as well as different RAM and well, everything.

I am a disabled veteran and I have a very limited income to upgrade anything. I guess if I let all other bills go for one month I can come up with maybe $1000 or so to spend.

Help, please? What should I do? I know that people will want to tell me to just not bother with trying to stream at all with such low upload speed but, I want to try. What should I do?

No upgrading will not help you...well unless you upgrade to such a strong CPU that it can compress the stream to a smaller bitrate at the same quality,while still running the game.
You have to find out the actual speed at wich you can upload to twich and then reduce the quality of the stream (bitrate) to match that speed, you could also reduce the FPS to 25 to get a bit better quality at the same bitrate,do you use your nvidia card for the stream?.

_PSIhawk

Honorable
Feb 28, 2014
That's what I expected. Bummer. Yeah, I am using TwitchTest to find upload to servers and using 80% for bitrate as suggested. I have been using the Hardware NVENC (new) as suggested by others as well. I've tested all settings and encoders multiple times.

My thought process was going more toward if I have a faster running Nvidia graphics card and cpu would that make things faster on my end which would in turn squeeze out a little better stream. When I stream test with no game running I get zero dropped frames but as soon as I turn game on that shoots up to 40-50% dropped frames.

I have had good days where I have streamed Farcry V and Elder scrolls Online without any issues. The game I am currently trying to stream is Neverwinter. I was thinking that since it is an older game then it would take up less resources. When running a stream test I get major rubberbanding in game.

It seems I am just a victim of living in tiny town Montana where they refuse to get better internet. Thanks for your help!

No upgrading will not help you...well unless you upgrade to such a strong CPU that it can compress the stream to a smaller bitrate at the same quality,while still running the game.
You have to find out the actual speed at wich you can upload to twich and then reduce the quality of the stream (bitrate) to match that speed, you could also reduce the FPS to 25 to get a bit better quality at the same bitrate,do you use your nvidia card for the stream?.