Question Slow upload only on wifi

Feb 25, 2022
I am experiencing slow speeds only on wifi uploads. I have ATT Gigabit fiber with their BWG210-700 gateway and an ASUS XT8 mesh system. BWG is serving as the router and the XT8 is in AP mode. Radios are turned off on the BWG.

Wired is 940 down and 900 up through the BWG and also wired on the XT8. Wifi on the XT8 is 500 down but the best I ever see on wifi upload is usually 75 to 90, never over 100. This is true on iPhones, MacBook Pro, iPads and my Alienware R15 R4. When using the BWG by itself the same slow wifi upload speed was observed. I have also tried ip passthrough with the XT8 serving as the router and get the same exact results. I have turned off the breakers to everything in my house except for my networking equipment and still get the same results. I am suspecting some sort of outside interference but is it strange that it is only affecting wifi upload speed and not download? I did have good wifi upload speeds in the past but at some point that changed. Not sure when the slow down started. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
I am experiencing slow speeds only on wifi uploads. I have ATT Gigabit fiber with their BWG210-700 gateway and an ASUS XT8 mesh system. BWG is serving as the router and the XT8 is in AP mode. Radios are turned off on the BWG.

Wired is 940 down and 900 up through the BWG and also wired on the XT8. Wifi on the XT8 is 500 down but the best I ever see on wifi upload is usually 75 to 90, never over 100. This is true on iPhones, MacBook Pro, iPads and my Alienware R15 R4. When using the BWG by itself the same slow wifi upload speed was observed. I have also tried ip passthrough with the XT8 serving as the router and get the same exact results. I have turned off the breakers to everything in my house except for my networking equipment and still get the same results. I am suspecting some sort of outside interference but is it strange that it is only affecting wifi upload speed and not download? I did have good wifi upload speeds in the past but at some point that changed. Not sure when the slow down started. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
According to the specs that router has a few things that could slow down uploads.
One at a time, try turning OFF
  • Adaptive QOS
  • Traffic Monitor
  • Traffic Analyzer
  • Parental Controls

Feb 25, 2022
According to the specs that router has a few things that could slow down uploads.
One at a time, try turning OFF
  • Adaptive QOS
  • Traffic Monitor
  • Traffic Analyzer
  • Parental Controls
Thanks but I don’t see any of those as it is in AP mode. I see the same slow wifi upload when I eliminate the ASUS XT8 and use just the AT&T Gateway wifi. That is why I suspect some kind of interference on the 5ghz upload side. I used to get symmetrical UL/DL speeds on wired and wireless but now the wireless U/L is much slower. Wired is still symmetrical at around 900 up and down.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks but I don’t see any of those as it is in AP mode. I see the same slow wifi upload when I eliminate the ASUS XT8 and use just the AT&T Gateway wifi. That is why I suspect some kind of interference on the 5ghz upload side. I used to get symmetrical UL/DL speeds on wired and wireless but now the wireless U/L is much slower. Wired is still symmetrical at around 900 up and down.
Interference would interfere equally. Signal strength could be asymmetric. Your transmissions could be barely reaching the XT8 even though your receive WIFI strength is good.
Yes, those "features" would be in router mode, not AP mode.

Feb 25, 2022
Weird thing is that the slowdown is even if I am standing right next to the XT8 (satellite or main unit). I did not mention that I am using an ethernet backhaul on the XT8 but that may be inconsequential. I also hooked up my old Orbi and via Ethernet it is full speed 900+ U/L & D/L. Good wifi download speed but 50 to 75 mbps on wifi upload. The AT&T router even manages 315 down and a better 124 up on wifi. My AppleTV going through the main XT8 via ethernet shows 932 down and 912 up. I also made sure I only had one router's radios enabled at any one time.

I must be missing something but for all of the routers to exhibit similar slow wifi upload speeds across all devices is perplexing to me, especially since the wired speeds are 900+ up and down and Wifi down speeds are fast on all.

I realize 75 to 100 mbps is plenty fast for uploads, it just is a challenge to get the speeds somewhat symmetrical like they were in the past. Maybe I am being too anal about all of this.

I really do appreciate your input.

Interference would interfere equally. Signal strength could be asymmetric. Your transmissions could be barely reaching the XT8 even though your receive WIFI strength is good.
Yes, those "features" would be in router mode, not AP mode.