Question Slow upload speed (not ISP problem)

mikbar

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2014
I have a 300/300 plan through Verizon and my download speed is fine but i'm getting less than 1mb/s upload and it's not being caused by verizon. all of my other devices are getting decent upload speed through wifi. I'm hoping resolving this problem will lead to a solution for my problem that i posted last week since a solution for that hasnt been found yet.

The drivers for my motherboards network are more updated than what the manufacturer website provides as a download.

PC:
Win 10 Home
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
16GB gskill RAM
Gigabyte gtx 1080

A very low upload speed can cause issues with download but it is kinda rare.

So the first thing I recommend when I see anyone who is using a asus board it to uninstall their bloatware. The worst offender they have a couple names for. Most times they are claiming it can accelerate game traffic. The very common name is called CFOSspeed but any software claiming to give some traffic priority you want to uninstall. This is the most stupid software there is. It can not affect any traffic outside the machine and if you have some kind of network bottleneck inside your machine between programs you have a much worse issue.

This software causes all kinds of strange issues.

What I would next try after removing the software is to see at what level the problem is. Try a very old line mode program called IPERF to test traffic between 2 machines in your house, best if both are on ethernet. You should see 900+mbps. This tests all the hardware and the networks drivers but since it is a simple line mode program it is not affected by things like web browser or much else. Since it does not actually save anything it is not even affect by the disk much. If this looks good try some simple file copies between machines inside your house in both directions.
This again eliminates the browser but is much more complex than IPERF. You will be able to see the transfer rates in the network tab of the resource monitor, be careful some values are in BYTES/sec.

mikbar

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2014
A very low upload speed can cause issues with download but it is kinda rare.

So the first thing I recommend when I see anyone who is using a asus board it to uninstall their bloatware. The worst offender they have a couple names for. Most times they are claiming it can accelerate game traffic. The very common name is called CFOSspeed but any software claiming to give some traffic priority you want to uninstall. This is the most stupid software there is. It can not affect any traffic outside the machine and if you have some kind of network bottleneck inside your machine between programs you have a much worse issue.

This software causes all kinds of strange issues.

What I would next try after removing the software is to see at what level the problem is. Try a very old line mode program called IPERF to test traffic between 2 machines in your house, best if both are on ethernet. You should see 900+mbps. This tests all the hardware and the networks drivers but since it is a simple line mode program it is not affected by things like web browser or much else. Since it does not actually save anything it is not even affect by the disk much. If this looks good try some simple file copies between machines inside your house in both directions.
This again eliminates the browser but is much more complex than IPERF. You will be able to see the transfer rates in the network tab of the resource monitor, be careful some values are in BYTES/sec.
I've been running this pc for over 3 years, AFAIK theres no bloatware installed from the motherboard (built the pc myself). I don't have a second pc to run the test you reccomend.

You can try to boot from a USB linux image but all that will tell you is if you have a hardware issue or if as suspected it is something in windows.

You have to be very careful the asus program is loaded at the same time as the motherboard drivers unless you uncheck boxes that are on by default.