[SOLVED] slow upload speed on gigabit connection

freakyfoxen

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
Hi

We recently opgraded to gigabit network, but something is not quite right.
I get about 900/500 mbps down/up speed on speedtest.net
It starts out at about 800 upload but very quickly drops to around 500.
Maybe something is limited by software?

I believe it's a problem with my pc, since any other pc tested,
with the same exact cable gets 900/900 even on a 10 year old system i also tested...

I have an Asrock Taichi x470 MB with a ryzen 5 2600,
so can't be because of outdated hardware.

Also, all of the networking cable used is Cat6A and it only has to go about 30-40 meters.

The order of components goes like this:

Fiber box -> Router -> Switch -> PC

The switch is a Gigabit TP-Link TL-SG108

the really wierd thing is,
it worked fine at full speed for the first month or so.
But suddenly dropped. I haven't changed anything that im aware of on the computer.

Hope someone has an idea of what might solve it.

Solution
The cable directly from the router didn't help.
I have no idea how to run linux =/
Got it.

Linux is pretty easy. Download the TENS iso here:
https://spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.2_public.iso

Then if you have a CD/DVD drive, write the iso to the CD/DVD. And if you don't have a CD/DVD drive, you can write it to a blank usb flash drive using rufus: http://rufus.ie/en/

Once you have your CD/DVD/usb, just put it in the system and reboot and use the boot selection menu and choose to boot from the CD/DVD/usb. You'll get a menu that will allow you to boot into the linux os. Once there, you can run the same speed tests using the browser there.

If this works, it proves that your network and system are both fine, which is...
Two tests I would like for you to try.

One is to run a long cable directly from your system to the router, bypassing the switch and anything else in between. If this works, it's helps narrow it down. If it doesn't, then onto test 2 (which you can run first if you want).

Test 2 is to boot a linux live cd/usb (I prefer TENS) and speedtest there. If it fixes it, it's a windows software issue. If it doesn't, then there's more testing to do.

Reactions: freakyfoxen

freakyfoxen

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions, I will be testing them when I get home in a few hours.
Will keep you updated!

Edit:

I get even slower results from both of those other sites, about 400/200 and 500/400

Last edited:
Got it.

Linux is pretty easy. Download the TENS iso here:
https://spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.2_public.iso

Then if you have a CD/DVD drive, write the iso to the CD/DVD. And if you don't have a CD/DVD drive, you can write it to a blank usb flash drive using rufus: http://rufus.ie/en/

Once you have your CD/DVD/usb, just put it in the system and reboot and use the boot selection menu and choose to boot from the CD/DVD/usb. You'll get a menu that will allow you to boot into the linux os. Once there, you can run the same speed tests using the browser there.

If this works, it proves that your network and system are both fine, which is great! Then it's just a windows software issue. But if you get the same results as in windows, it could be the network, the hardware or even both, and we will need to do more tests to determine what it really is.

Solution
One of the common things we have seen lately on this forum is the upload speeds is being slowed down by so called "gamer" network software. It many times is bundled with mother boards but yours is kinda old. It also comes with some video cards and of course you could have just downloaded it from the internet yourself.

These type of programs cause all kinds of strange issues but they also add a lot of overhead on high speed internet connections. One of the common ones is called cfosspeed but there are a few others. Make sure you do not have any form of QoS or gamer acceleration network software installed.

Firewall rules can also cause this, you could use the option to temporarily disable the window firewall.

If your watch the resouce manager you might see the CPU spike to 100% in cases like this. Note it can be tricky to see it will only be 1 core that goes to 100% so the average load can be lower.

Reactions: SamirD

freakyfoxen

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
One of the common things we have seen lately on this forum is the upload speeds is being slowed down by so called "gamer" network software. It many times is bundled with mother boards but yours is kinda old. It also comes with some video cards and of course you could have just downloaded it from the internet yourself.

These type of programs cause all kinds of strange issues but they also add a lot of overhead on high speed internet connections. One of the common ones is called cfosspeed but there are a few others. Make sure you do not have any form of QoS or gamer acceleration network software installed.

Firewall rules can also cause this, you could use the option to temporarily disable the window firewall.

If your watch the resouce manager you might see the CPU spike to 100% in cases like this. Note it can be tricky to see it will only be 1 core that goes to 100% so the average load can be lower.
I think I will just start with a clean windows install and go from there. If it's fixed then good. If not, I will try some of the other things you mentioned, thanks.