Question Slow upload speed over wired ethernet ?

Dec 15, 2021
So recently i've changed my ISP becase they have 500mb up/down speeds, but i noticed that my streams were lagging even at 2500 bitrate, so i checked my speeds on speedtest and i had mostly 500 up/down. then i went on testmy.net and noticed that my upload was 2-6 mbps. i thought it was [****]

[Moderator edit to remove profanity. Remember that Tom's is a family friendly website.]

ISP that grants this speeds only to their servers, or my new router, which i recived from my new ISP, but just to be sure i checked speeds with my ipad pro, android phone, old macbook, and the speeds were normal, like 100 - 200+ mbps upload. And i also have usb wifi dongle, and with it the upload speed was also higher than wired.

I've red numerous forum posts about other people who had the same problem, particulary with[**] realtek chips, which i had, so i bought Intel Gigabit CT EXPI9301CT, and had the same [ ***] upload speeds, i've tried choosing 100 mbps half duplex, which helps a bit, but it cuts my internet speed obviosly, so its not a solution, i also tried booting from ubuntu live cd, speeds there was 100+ mbps, so it must be some problem with windows settings or whatever, im outta ideas, so help will be appreciated,
btw, i have B450 AORUS ELITE (Rev. 1.x) mobo. windows 10 pro x64, wired connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 14, 2022
So recently i've changed my ISP becase they have 500mb up/down speeds, but i noticed that my streams were lagging even at 2500 bitrate, so i checked my speeds on speedtest and i had mostly 500 up/down. then i went on testmy.net and noticed that my upload was 2-6 mbps. i thought it was [****]

[Moderator edit to remove profanity. Remember that Tom's is a family friendly website.]

ISP that grants this speeds only to their servers, or my new router, which i recived from my new ISP, but just to be sure i checked speeds with my ipad pro, android phone, old macbook, and the speeds were normal, like 100 - 200+ mbps upload. And i also have usb wifi dongle, and with it the upload speed was also higher than wired.

I've red numerous forum posts about other people who had the same problem, particulary with[] realtek chips, which i had, so i bought Intel Gigabit CT EXPI9301CT, and had the same [ *] upload speeds, i've tried choosing 100 mbps half duplex, which helps a bit, but it cuts my internet speed obviosly, so its not a solution, i also tried booting from ubuntu live cd, speeds there was 100+ mbps, so it must be some problem with windows settings or whatever, im outta ideas, so help will be appreciated,
btw, i have B450 AORUS ELITE (Rev. 1.x) mobo. windows 10 pro x64, wired connection.
Seeing that you tried another card for the interface, have you tried hooking the system directly to the computer bypassing the router? Just to see if this maybe the issue.

You never want to set things to half duplex it will causes a massive decrease in speed. You always need to run it on auto mostly because you have to set both ends the same speed and the router can only run on auto. If you see anything other than 1gbit negotitated speed you likely have a bad cable.

In general if speedtest runs fine and other do not you do not have a actual network problem. You tests with ubuntu confirm this.

The very first thing I see when I looked your motherboard up is a statement that says "gaming lan". This is some of the worst software in existence. It can not fix anything outside the machine and if you have a network issue internal to the machine you are doing something really stupid like running torrent downloads while you play games. It seems gamers are dumb as rocks they believe anything that says "GAMER" on it must be better.

This software was likely loaded as part of the install of the motherboard drivers and you would have to uncheck it to not install it. Try to find anything running related to giving network traffic priority and uninstall it.

Realtek is actually fairly stable chipset, at least the 1gbit ones. The ones you had to really worry about were the killer ones. They used to put this stupid gamer stuff into the drivers so it was much harder to remove.