Slow USB 2.0 External Caddy - Please Help!

I recently bought a WD 200GB HDD and a USB 2 enclosure to put it in.
I’m finding that when I install the drive in my desktop everything
works as normal. As soon as it is connected through the enclosure,
anytime I try to transfer data, the time taken increases
substantially, and i’ve compared identical amounts of data with
another USB2 caddy i have and it’s much higher. Any ideas of a
solution, or is the caddy faulty?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Nick

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Hardware-Slow-USB-External-Caddy-Help-ftopict241271.html

nickd_101 wrote:
> I recently bought a WD 200GB HDD and a USB 2 enclosure to put it in.
> I'm finding that when I install the drive in my desktop everything
> works as normal. As soon as it is connected through the enclosure,
> anytime I try to transfer data, the time taken increases
> substantially, and i've compared identical amounts of data with
> another USB2 caddy i have and it's much higher. Any ideas of a
> solution, or is the caddy faulty?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Nick

Got another computer you can test this enclosure with?
Check for firmware upgrades?

nickd_101 wrote:
> I recently bought a WD 200GB HDD and a USB 2 enclosure to put it in.
> I'm finding that when I install the drive in my desktop everything
> works as normal. As soon as it is connected through the enclosure,
> anytime I try to transfer data, the time taken increases
> substantially, and i've compared identical amounts of data with
> another USB2 caddy i have and it's much higher. Any ideas of a
> solution, or is the caddy faulty?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Nick

You are using an external power adapter? Are there any drive-related
errors in Event Viewer?

peter

> You are using an external power adapter? Are there any drive-related
> errors in Event Viewer?

Nick:
You say that when you install your HD internally in your computer its
performance is substantially better than when it's installed as a USB device
in a USB external enclosure. Obviously, that's to be expected. A HD
installed as an IDE device will always perform faster than when it's
installed as a USB device. But perhaps I've misunderstood you.

On the other hand its performance as a USB device should be just about the
same regardless of the USB 2.0 external enclosure being used. The only time
I've ever experienced wildly differing speed performance issues with respect
to USB EHDs using an identical HD is when one of the enclosures was
inadvertantly connected to a USB 1.1 port instead of a 2.0 one. I suppose
it's possible that a USB external enclosure would be defective in some way
that would affect the drive's performance, but I've never run into that. In
my experience they either work or they don't.

I can't see where your power supply for the external enclosure would be an
issue here. Obviously your USB EHDs are running off a self-contained PS, are
they not?

My typical use of USB EHDs is to receive the clone of an internal HD.
Cloning speed (for a USB 2.0 device) is between 450 - 500 MB/min as a
general rule.

Can you be more precise as to the speed differences between your two USB
external HDs?
Art

Are you using USB 2 ports or USB 1.0./1.1 port?

Internal drives are always faster!

"nickd_101" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a WD 200GB HDD and a USB 2 enclosure to put it in.
> I'm finding that when I install the drive in my desktop everything
> works as normal. As soon as it is connected through the enclosure,
> anytime I try to transfer data, the time taken increases
> substantially, and i've compared identical amounts of data with
> another USB2 caddy i have and it's much higher. Any ideas of a
> solution, or is the caddy faulty?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Nick
>
> --