Slow usb transfer rate

ananias

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Hi there!
My problem is slow usb transfer rate - at first it start off real good (70-80 mb/s then within 10 sec it drops down to 3 and even 1 mb/s). 1.5 mb file gets into my flash drive in 10 min or so.!!! Now I've formatted flash drives, no change. Write-caching enabled, "best performance" for flash drives enabled... Tried on a Lap-Top - transfer rate is not so high, but stable all the time - 15-12 mb/s. Remote Differential Compression disabled..... Transfer rate within the hard drives in my computer is OK (I got 2). I don't know if it's the Windows 7 problem or the motherboard problem or hard drives config problem - I have no idea, so forgive me if I'm posting in a wrong category.
Here is my info:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
HDD's: Samsung 500bg and ST 320 bg, both 16 mb 7200
mobo - GA-770T-D3L, v.1.
RAM - 8gb
Phenom IIx6
Thank you's for any answer.

fred64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I have the same problem with USB sticks on Windows 7. Slow 3-4mb transfer rates!
I tried most of the same stuff: write caching, best performance, reloading drivers over the past 6 or 7 months.
I get a little bump in performance mode, but nowhere near acceptable.

I have a USB hard drive, it works much better (40-50mb/sec). Does not matter which ports, front, back they all act the same.

I believe its a Windows 7 issue, because my old Win XP worked just fine. (I no longer have XP available).
As I recall I did not have this problem when I first installed Win 7 over a year ago -- can't be sure though.

I have a Linux Mint DVD, when I boot from that all work nice and fast -- same hardware, same files.

If the directories are really large Windows 7 copying might stop 3-4 hours in
(should not have taken more than 30 minutes in the first place).

Feel free to move my post to anyplace its likely to get a solution.

ananias

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Seems like it's an issue with Win 7 ultimate 64 bit sys. Before this one I had a Win 7 ultimate 32 bit - everything worked fine!

fred64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

I have the problem with Win 7 32 bit. I think it might have started with a Windows update. Some folks blame it on service pack 1, but I have no specific evidence to link it to a particular update date.

ananias

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

I tried to copy from HDD to flash right after a clean Windows 7 install (no updates yet) - the problem was there. :pt1cable:

fred64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

Did the Win 7 install media include SP1 ? A newer Win 7 installation media might.

fred64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

My Windows 7 DVD did not include SP1. As I recall, my USB sticks worked OK for many months. Then somewhere along the way I started having the problems. I also recall seeing it mentioned in another thread (not this site).

If I can find an old hard drive, I'll try building a new Windows 7 system -- and not install any fixes. I'll report back if the USB sticks work ok on a clean original Windows 7 (ultimate) installation.

gary_baird

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

I believe this issue could be related to VT-x being turned on in the bios. I myself have noticed about the same rates when I have VT turned on in the BIOS with Windows 7 x64.

With the USB interface being so slow it may be competing with grooming exercises for bandwidth. There are inherent issues with NAND Flash that make it different than hard drives. When a file is deleted a standard drive must only set bit that indicates the sector is free. With flash it must write over the. There are clever ways to make this faster and save the wear and tear on the NAND like writing ones instead of zeros. I believe it's possible Microsoft has their own internal grooming. By my rough calculations I estimate the amplification at 50% capacity could significantly drop the speed to about 50% or more is short bursts. It would likely get much worse as the drive fills.
I could write a vbscript you can run as a groomer if you like to write all zeros to see if it helps during large transfers. If the speed increases, it might be the worth reporting to Microsoft for further study.

gary_baird

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

I believe this issue could be related to VT-x being turned on in the bios. I myself have noticed about the same rates when I have VT turned on in the BIOS with Windows 7 x64.

With the USB interface being so slow it may be competing with grooming exercises for bandwidth. There are inherent issues with NAND Flash that make it different than hard drives. When a file is deleted a standard drive must only set bit that indicates the sector is free. With flash it must write over the. There are clever ways to make this faster and save the wear and tear on the NAND like writing ones instead of zeros. I believe it's possible Microsoft has their own internal grooming. By my rough calculations I estimate the amplification at 50% capacity could significantly drop the speed to about 50% or more is short bursts. It would likely get much worse as the drive fills.
I could write a vbscript you can run as a groomer if you like to write all zeros to see if it helps during large transfers. If the speed increases, it might be the worth reporting to Microsoft for further study.

gary_baird

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

ananias

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Hi there! I have no idea what you're talking about when you say VT-x turned on in the bios.... What is that? Where is it in the bios? Could you please tell in simple language about it? Thanks very much in advance!

hystria

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Try change the properties of your USB key. To do so, right click on the Key -> Hardware tab -> select the Key -> Properties -> (Change Settings for Win 7) -> Policies tab -> select Optimize for performance -> Ok. I've also formatted the key in NTSF. To me this worked in XP (NTSF) but not in Win 7 (FAT 32). I have two hard drives for the same laptop. In XP it passed from 4mb/s to like 10 times faster. In 7 is the same 4mb/s.
Remember to always click "Eject" the Key every time prior to removing it from an USB port.