Question slow wifi on 1ghz atnt

adamghering

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
hello,
problem:
1ghz internet giving parity upload download
linksys wifi adapter or netgear nighthawk on USB 3.0 port only seeing 200 ish speeds

additional information
motherboard: asus Z10pe-d16 ws
the night gear adapter is my sons adapter and he gets 600-700 mbps

what ive tried
verified im on the fast 5ghz network
uninstalled and reinstalled the wifi adapter
restarted the machine several times
My adapter is the linksys, Ive tried plugging it into additional ports front and back
also used my sons Netgear Nighthawk 3 band adapter (he sits further from the router in the other room and gets 600-700 mbps) and got the same lousy 200 ish mbps
also it is unstable and drops to 5, 20 then back to 130, then 200 really inconsistent

It is very surprising any wifi adapter gets 600mbps. Normally you only see numbers like that using wifi6 in the same room as the router. The 200 speed you see is much more common.
First thing is be sure the 2 cards you comparing have the same specs. There can be massive difference between even say a wifi6 card that support 160mhz and one that support only 80mhz channels.

Location in your house is actually more important than the hardware you are running many times. Could be more signal is being blocked by some wall or it could be that you are closer to some external interference like a neighbors wifi.
I guess you could try the pc and the wifi adapter that get 600mbps in the room that gets bad speed and see if it also gets poor speeds. This would tell you if it was some software setting limiting you.

In most cases there is very little you can set on the pc end. It tends to be the router side where you make the settings. I guess verify that your pc is not attempting to force any limitation in the drivers. Some you can for example limit it to 20 or 40mhz channels.

Since it seems these are all USB devices try a long USB extension cable and see if placing the unit away from the computer case helps. The case blocks lots of signals and in some rare cases can cause interference.

adamghering

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
It is very surprising any wifi adapter gets 600mbps. Normally you only see numbers like that using wifi6 in the same room as the router. The 200 speed you see is much more common.
First thing is be sure the 2 cards you comparing have the same specs. There can be massive difference between even say a wifi6 card that support 160mhz and one that support only 80mhz channels.

Location in your house is actually more important than the hardware you are running many times. Could be more signal is being blocked by some wall or it could be that you are closer to some external interference like a neighbors wifi.
I guess you could try the pc and the wifi adapter that get 600mbps in the room that gets bad speed and see if it also gets poor speeds. This would tell you if it was some software setting limiting you.

In most cases there is very little you can set on the pc end. It tends to be the router side where you make the settings. I guess verify that your pc is not attempting to force any limitation in the drivers. Some you can for example limit it to 20 or 40mhz channels.

Since it seems these are all USB devices try a long USB extension cable and see if placing the unit away from the computer case helps. The case blocks lots of signals and in some rare cases can cause interference.
so location in the house is relatively the same spot and actually my sons computer is a few feet further from the att router than I am.
additionally im not using a card im using a usb wifi adapter, and litereally unplugging his adapter (getting 600+ speeds) and pulgging it into my computer

Distance means little , something simple like a mirror on a wall that blocks signal in the path.

You have very few options. There are no wifi settings you can really change that would cause this. Maybe check that you have the correct drivers.

You can blindly try to reinstall windows to make sure there is no software installed that you do not really know about. Most times it would be better to confirm this by say testing your machine in the other room. You could end up going though all the effort and it still have the problem.

Reactions: adamghering

Latest posts