Question Slow WiFi speed on Lenovo Ideapad 330 ?

funnyguys

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
iam using lenovo ideapad 330 laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 330 Intel Core I5 8th Gen 15.6-inch Laptop (20gb RAM/1TB HDD/Windows 11/GTX 1050 4GB GDDR5/Onyx Black / 2.2 Kg), 81FK00DKIN ). in lapton network adapter is Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter.
my wifi internet speed is 50mbps, but in this laptop my speed is only around 20 to 25 mbps speed. rarely i will get 45 mbps speed. At the same time when i check speed test in mobile and another laptop iam getting 47 mbps speed, but in this lenovo laptop getting slow speed. kindly help me solve the problem
Note: my wifi router supports 2.4ghz.

It is very strange to see a pc that has such a poor wifi card in it. It is only a 1x1 device. Almost all modern devices have 2 antenna and the chips cost about the same price. Then again this is lenovo who do stupid stuff like that. You are talking only a couple pennies differnent in manufacturing cost.
Even if the wifi chip can be replaced there likely is only 1 physical antenna.

The speeds you get are about what you would expect for a device with only 1 antenna running on the 2.4g band. Your phone and your router likely both have the ability to use 2 antenna or more.

At these very low speeds going from 1x1 mimo to 2x2 mimo does about double the speed. Going to 3x3 or higher does not increase it again as much.

I see 2 options. You could replace your router with one that also support 5g. Your stupid pc will still only support 1 antenna feed but 5g has at least 2 or 4 times the bandwidth so it should be able to come close to your 50mbit.
You could also look at a external USB device for your laptop that has 2 antenna. Be very careful to not buy those tiny ones even though the can have 2 antenna the are very small and they have very low power radios. The physically larger units tend to perform better.
Your laptop even though it only has 1 antenna it is likely a fairly large antenna behind the screen.

That is a very low end adapter in your pc and I don't think you can replace the internal one.

This first one is a example of what a good USB device looks like. You will notice it is fairly big and in this case can be mounted on a stand away from the computer. It can also plug directly in.

You can look for something smaller but be careful the size matters for performance.
DO NOT BUY the next one. It is a example of what you want to avoid

You might be better of considering replacing your router. Even a very low end router like this support 5g radio. This should at least double the speed on your laptop without changing it.
Note I picked a very inexpensive router. It will not work if you do not have a separate modem.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Gigabit-WiFi-Internet-Router/dp/B08KJF5BS7

funnyguys

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
That is a very low end adapter in your pc and I don't think you can replace the internal one.

This first one is a example of what a good USB device looks like. You will notice it is fairly big and in this case can be mounted on a stand away from the computer. It can also plug directly in.

You can look for something smaller but be careful the size matters for performance.
DO NOT BUY the next one. It is a example of what you want to avoid

You might be better of considering replacing your router. Even a very low end router like this support 5g radio. This should at least double the speed on your laptop without changing it.
Note I picked a very inexpensive router. It will not work if you do not have a separate modem.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Gigabit-WiFi-Internet-Router/dp/B08KJF5BS7
thanks for the update. is there any options or settings should be change to get speed?
getting correct upload speed. only download speed is very slow.

Not much you can change. Wifi device attempt to get the fastest connection they can.

You have 2 big issues.
First your router only supports 2.4g.

Then making it worse is the card only has a single antenna and can not use the faster data encodings.

So both these together are limiting your speed. If you fix either of those you likely will at least double your performance.

funnyguys

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Not much you can change. Wifi device attempt to get the fastest connection they can.

You have 2 big issues.
First your router only supports 2.4g.

Then making it worse is the card only has a single antenna and can not use the faster data encodings.

So both these together are limiting your speed. If you fix either of those you likely will at least double your performance.
for 2.4 ghz band in my another laptop iam getting full speed ie 47 to 48 mpbs speed.
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/technology/wi-fi/qca9377 this is my model.

That is even more garbage than the device I linked and said you should not buy it. Look back you do not want those tiny devices physical size matters.

It is really hard when you are looking to buy something that has a price around the $3.00 range.

So if I try to keep the price as low as I can maybe this would work.

This is much better because it is physically bigger. It is still very old technology but is twice as fast as the device in your laptop.

That is misinformation. WMM pretty much does nothing so it really doesn't matter if it is on or off.
In theory it lets things like voice traffic be prioritized but it also requires you have all the voice traffic marked so the router knows it is voice traffic. Nobody actually marks traffic in a home network and most routers do not support that feature either.