Question Slow wifi

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I have just had talk talk put in UFO (ultra fast broadband). Clames to be 1G but I only get 380M.

I have just tried it on my mobile phone (Motorloa Moto c) and I only grt 36.5M. Is there a problem with the wifi settings?
OR is this speed only for wired connections and wi fi can't produce better speads than 30M ?

TIA Paul.

Last edited:
How fast do you get on ethernet.

Wifi numbers are massive marketing lies. You only get a tiny fraction of the number they show. It depends a lot on what wifi standard your router and/or the device support. A router could support say 600 using 4 feeds/antenna but your phone only supports 300 using 2 antenna. So you start out at 300. Of that 300 you might get 40-50 at average distances. If you stand on top of the router you would get more and farther away less.

Even with the fanciest router and some magic phone that has 4 antenna I would not expect much over 250-300mbps unless you are sitting next to the router.

'M' is Megabytes. 'm' is megaBITS (8x Megabiytes) you seem to be mixing them, and using the correct letter will help. 36.5M implies "36.5 Mega Bytes Per Second" which is 292 mbps (Mega BITS per second)

Mobile carriers are notorious about not labeling their max connection rate via wifi. Most use a 2x2 if it's AC. 400mbps is pretty common on a lot of phones. But try installing Fing or WiFiAnalyzer (open-source) by VREM Software Development onto your phone. It will tell you how many people are sharing a channel. Usually 5Ghz is faster, but not always (depending on distance from Router) Also analyze your signal strength. It slows down with distance.

If you have a lot of people on your channel you can go in one of the zones used by Radar. But only do this is you aren't near any radar installations or you may get a knock by the FCC. It's legally allowed provided you aren't interfering with a part of the spectrum that's licensed in your area. Another warning is some client devices will refuse to connect to these channels. (ie: Roku)

A lot of carrier supplied routers w/wifi are "the suckage." They are unreliable and slow with a short range.

That said wifi is hugely inefficient, especially if you are sharing the spectrum with your neighbor. If you are getting 292 mbps over 2x2 wifi, that's not too bad. (Most default to 40Mhz which is 1 channel bonding)

1x1 40 MHz200 Mbps1 TX (Transmit, Upload)
1 RX (Receive, Download)
2x2 40 MHz400 Mbps2 TX
2 RX
1x1 80 MHz433 Mbps1 TX
1 RX
2x2 80 MHz866 Mbps2 TX
2 RX
1x1 160 MHz866 Mbps1 TX
1 RX
2x2 160 MHz1.73 Gbps2 TX
2 RX

Last edited:

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Sorry for confusion. I have(supposed to have a 1 gigabit fast fiber connection). I use BroadbandSpeadChecker .co .uk. On my PC connected by cable I am only getting a value of 300 which I beleive is slow. I am getting 30 on the test on my phone and tablet which is wi-fi. I am not sharing this network with anyone.

The router only says Talk Talk wiFi hub
Fast 5364-3 T8

Last edited:
It could be the router or in some cases the pc that limits you. Try a number of different speedtest sites and see if there is a difference. Try to plug directly into the modem if that is possible to eliminate the router.

You do not have exclusive use a wifi. Just because you do not share it with anyone in your house does not mean all your neighbors using wifi do not degrade the signals you use.

It is extremely hard to say if 30mbps is good or bad. If your router or your phone can only use 2.4g on at say at the marketing number called 150 you getting 30mbps would not be unusual. Wifi is way to complex to just state speed numbers since in addition to the ecoding used it also makes a huge difference how close you are to the router. Nobody actually uses their phone sitting on top of the router but that is the number you see in some of the reviews.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Im have bypassed the router and there is no difference. For testing purposes my WiFi speed is tested next to the router.

What I am finding is the upload speed is faster than the download speed.

310 download 640 upload. This sounds daft to me.