Question Slow wifi

Austin68

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
I recently bought a asus RT-ac1200 router. Wired connections are fine but wifi connections have consistency issues. One test will show downloads of 8mbps and uploads of 40mbps, and the next test will show downloads of 40 and uploads of 40. I have 75mbps service. Speed test were checked on 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I live in a rural area and do not have any other networks near me. I have also tried changing channels to no avail. I have also run the tests on two different wireless devices. Firmware is updated as well. Any help would be apperciated

kanewolf

Titan
I recently bought a asus RT-ac1200 router. Wired connections are fine but wifi connections have consistency issues. One test will show downloads of 8mbps and uploads of 40mbps, and the next test will show downloads of 40 and uploads of 40. I have 75mbps service. Speed test were checked on 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I live in a rural area and do not have any other networks near me. I have also tried changing channels to no avail. I have also run the tests on two different wireless devices. Firmware is updated as well. Any help would be apperciated
Do ALL devices have slow WIFI or only one? What is the WIFI device? USB nano dongle?

kanewolf

Titan
Two devices have the issue. One is a laptop with internal wifi card, the other is a all in one with a internal card as well
If phones or tablets don't have the problem, then it is most likely a device specific problem.
Internal WIFI cards have the problem of the antennas being covered by the case of the PC.
First thing to check is if the problem devices are using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Do you have a different SSID name on the two bands?