[SOLVED] Slow Write Speed through Applications

Oct 2, 2019
I currently have a Ryzen 2700x setup on a Asus x470-f board and my write speed is just not on par with what I should be getting especially through an application such as steam. My drive I'm downloading games to is a 2TB 860 Qvo. I have a constant 100 MB/s download speed as well. The write speed seems to balance right around 13mb/s. I've made sure drivers are up to date. Benchmarked the drive through magician and optimized the drive. The mobo bios is up to date and made sure everything was on the most recent up to date driver through device manager. Anyone have any other ideas? I feel like I'm missing something quite simple here. The write speed I'm pretty sure is about the same on my m.2 drive as well and that's a 970 pro

To clarify, my download speed is 100mb/s through steam and a steady 100mb/s through my isp. 'Fios' and I'm using Win10

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Is this when you are downloading and installing games? If so the 13MB would be about correct based on your ISP speeds.
100Mb = 12.5MB
Oct 2, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Is this when you are downloading and installing games? If so the 13MB would be about correct based on your ISP speeds.
100Mb = 12.5MB

Thanks for the input. The only reason this came to my attention is because my buddy has Comcast and apparently his write speed it higher even though I'm pretty sure his speed is 40mb/s downloads

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, in case it wasn't clear from the previous reply, there is a difference between megabits (Mb) and megabytes (MB). 8 Mb = 1 MB.

Most internet speeds are listed in Mb/s, Steam lists the download speed in MB/s. If you're talking about a download/write speed of 13 MB/s, then that's expected and there's no way your buddy with a 40 Mb/s connection is getting 13 MB/s or higher.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed there is no way your friend can exceed his internet bandwidth during download and installation.
You can exceed these speeds when you're not reliant on ISP downloads however.

Also you'll be limited depending on how many other devices are using the bandwidth.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019
Ok, in case it wasn't clear from the previous reply, there is a difference between megabits (Mb) and megabytes (MB). 8 Mb = 1 MB.

Most internet speeds are listed in Mb/s, Steam lists the download speed in MB/s. If you're talking about a download/write speed of 13 MB/s, then that's expected and there's no way your buddy with a 40 Mb/s connection is getting 13 MB/s or higher.
You're right and he's either screwing with me hardcore and I'm just being a fool but tbh we have started downloads at the same time and he's finished a half hour to 45 minutes before me.... Was just wondering if I should hit FiOS with the 40$ extra to bump up to 1G

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe his connection isn't actually 40 Mb/s, maybe he's lying, no way for us on this forum to know. We also can't tell you whether the extra cost for Gb service is worth it for you. Depends on how much downloading you do and how much value you place on getting that download done sooner.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Oct 2, 2019
Maybe his connection isn't actually 40 Mb/s, maybe he's lying, no way for us on this forum to know. We also can't tell you whether the extra cost for Gb service is worth it for you. Depends on how much downloading you do and how much value you place on getting that download done sooner.
Just nit picking the experience some of y'all have at this point. Thanks for the help.