[SOLVED] Slow write speed to external backup disk

seagatedoge

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
Hello,
I have been using the ST4000DM000 (link) as an external backup drive over USB. Lately I have a very slow write speed to it (16kbps) which seems to halt shortly into starting. Small documents I can create within it, such as a text document, and I can read what seems like all the files. This is when I try to transfer something larger than, say, a gigabyte. It makes it unusable as a backup drive.
CrystalDiskInfo has no amber or red lights when looking at the drive.
I have tried TeraCopy but the result is the same.
I also changed the write caching policy (both options) and that did not make a difference.
Is there something else I can try or should I get a new disk?

Solution
Might be that the controller on the USB is making those faulty slow write speeds. May be that the properties or something might have been tampered. Mainly the USB converter is slower than the SATA method. Better check the HDD controller in the casing and you might be using USB 2.0 where the read and write speed are slow.

seagatedoge

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
how much free space left?
also run this:
https://www.hdtune.com/download.html
Hi, thanks for the replying.
1.93 TB of free space.

Test capacity: full

Read transfer rate
Transfer Rate Minimum : 81.1 MB/s
Transfer Rate Maximum : 174.8 MB/s
Transfer Rate Average : 142.9 MB/s
Access Time : 17.1 ms
Burst Rate : 148.0 MB/s
CPU Usage : 1.2%

When trying to start the Write test in HD Tune I get an error:
Writing is disabled.
To enable writing please remove all partitions.
Please check the manual for more information.

HD Tune says health status is "ok". A quick error scan shows all green boxes.

Sep 15, 2019
Might be that the controller on the USB is making those faulty slow write speeds. May be that the properties or something might have been tampered. Mainly the USB converter is slower than the SATA method. Better check the HDD controller in the casing and you might be using USB 2.0 where the read and write speed are slow.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS