Question Slowed internet connection for windows/router but fine on a mac

Apr 3, 2019
So heres a weird one: I got a brand new modem, brand new router(Modem: Netgear CM1000, Router: Asus Blue Cave). I have comcast and pay for 300mb/s and on my PCs and router I only get bout 140 on both ethernet and wifi, but my
MacBook on ethernet into the modem gets the full 300mb/s.

When I use ethernet into the modem on my PC, it get stuck at "Identifying network", and defaults to public, and I cant swap to private, windows just get stuck at "metered connection"

Router works fine, has no DNS issues unless I start playing with it. Both mac and PC have no internet issues through it. Theres no bandwidth monitors or traffic controllers on it, and I have tried to use those to possibly force it to climb up.

Before it is suggested Ive done the whole list of fixes from flush DNS to reconfiguring TCP/IP to factory defaults and component/cable replacement, nothing seems to fix it. My macbook seems to be the only thing that has no problem auto detecting and configuring. Router has no problem connecting but the speed is noticeable.

In essence, my macbook plugged into the modem is the only configuration that allows me to get my full 300mb/s

You have to be careful plugging stuff directly into the modem. Since you only get 1 IP address from the ISP the modem will give it to the first device it sees plugged into it. Not sure how long it keeps this mac address in most cases you must reboot the modem every time you switch the device you plug into it. The other option is of course to change the mac address on the ethernet port so they are all the same but that can lead to problems when you hook a router back in the path.

I suspect when you get your PC working directly on the modem it will have the same 140mbps speed. A router is pretty stupid unless you configured some bandwidth cap it just allows all devices to use as much as they want. The router does not really know what device you have connected it just sees mac and ip addresses. The traffic after that looks exactly the same. It can't even tell the browser is different because the traffic is now encrypted by https.

It has to be something with the PC. Make sure you have no so called "gaming" network accelerator software even installed on your machine. You could try to copy between the pc and the mac to see if you have a driver issue or if the problem is more software related.

Now rereading this I will assume that the mac runs fine plugged into the router and not just plugged into the modem.

Apr 3, 2019
Got it. It was the DHCP not refreshing properly in the router. The one it assigned to my mac worked but it wouldnt accept or renew it for my router. Took a few dozen resets but eventually it refreshed and everythings fine again.

For future reference for anyone else looking at this I had to factory restart my router, leave it unplugged then reset my modem, then reset my connection from comcast then plugged my modem into my router, then reset the connection again and thats what got it to finally refresh everything.