SLOWED TO A CRAWL

G

I just installed a 18gig drive in a 166 pentium and loaded windows 98 at the same time and loaded aol7.0 and this machine went to a crawl opening up any application. What did I do wrong?? Only have one partition because the tech that helped install over the phone said to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
right click on my computer go to properties then device manager then find the drive right click on the drive icon and properties again .. make sure DMA box is checked..

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

G

OK Thanks will give it a look when I get home from work today.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
What did I do wrong??
You installed AOL, seriously!!! :smile:

Also, how much RAM do you have? We all know that a 166 is slow compared to current procs, but it shouldn't crawl.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

G

Yeah AOL does suck but she uses the it to. The machine only has 32meg's which is to low I found out for 98. Have solved the problem by purchasing a new unit 2ghz with lots of goodies, it was time after 6 years on the old one.