[SOLVED] Slower ethernet speed

Jun 7, 2021
So, the story goes like this:

I have a 150mbps connection, over wifi on my phone, I can easily get around 120-130 mbps down/up but on my PC which has an ethernet connection hardly gets above 60 (on an average 50-55)

My motherboard supports upto 1Gbps up & down, my ethernet cable does that too but since last 2 months, I have been facing this issue.
Earlier, I used to get around 140 up/down over the ethernet line easily.

I did check getting a new ethernet cable, but the problem persisted, I tried updating , my drivers with no improvements, I have a Smart tv which supports upto 100 mbps, so plugging the ethernet cable onto that gives 90-100 speed as well.

Ethernet Cable-
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07QD5G822/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motherboard
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/A320M-A-PRO-MAX

HELP!

Solution
Thanks for posting the actual cable you bought.

This is one of the most deceptive amazon ads I have seen i a long time. They intentionally try to mislead people who have been told by many to look for pure copper wire with wire size 22-24.

So they first put this in

"The Ethernet cord with 24 AWG copper wire" , "Copper Ethernet cables enhance cable performance and comply with specifications for communications cables".

But they also say

"8 solid CCA conductors 24 AWG"

They are doing everything they can to hide the "CCA" part hoping people do not know that means copper clad aluminum. The only reason they even include it is because amazon banned a bunch of vendors who did not disclose it was CCA cable.

In the end this is a fake...
Jun 7, 2021
Something changed for this problem to happen--what changed?

I don't know man, earlier there used to be some days when my internet speed would drop down to like 40-50 mbps but used to get back up sometimes later. But oneday it happened & ever since it remained the same. I can't exactly pin point what happened.

View: https://imgur.com/a/4kH9Hws
(In my Router admin panel, in Lan dashboard, the IPv6 isn't active? )

This is one of the most deceptive amazon ads I have seen i a long time. They intentionally try to mislead people who have been told by many to look for pure copper wire with wire size 22-24.

"The Ethernet cord with 24 AWG copper wire" , "Copper Ethernet cables enhance cable performance and comply with specifications for communications cables".

But they also say

They are doing everything they can to hide the "CCA" part hoping people do not know that means copper clad aluminum. The only reason they even include it is because amazon banned a bunch of vendors who did not disclose it was CCA cable.

In the end this is a fake cable. CCA wire because it has 2 metals that expand and contract at different rates will eventual fail because the end connectors will become disconnected internally.

BUT this may or may not be your problem. You might be taking lots of errors because of a bad cable but many other things cause this issue also.

If you have a second device in your house try to copy files between them. Watch the rates in the resource monitor network tab, be aware some of these are in BYTES/sec. You can also try a very old line mode program called IPERF to test transfer rates between your machines. If these show issues especially the IPERF then I would strongly suspect the cable. If these work OK then it is more likely some software or browser issue causing the problem.

Solution
Jun 7, 2021

But they also say

In the end this is a fake cable. CCA wire because it has 2 metals that expand and contract at different rates will eventual fail because the end connectors will become disconnected internally.

BUT this may or may not be your problem. You might be taking lots of errors because of a bad cable but many other things cause this issue also.

If you have a second device in your house try to copy files between them. Watch the rates in the resource monitor network tab, be aware some of these are in BYTES/sec. You can also try a very old line mode program called IPERF to test transfer rates between your machines. If these show issues especially the IPERF then I would strongly suspect the cable. If these work OK then it is more likely some software or browser issue causing the problem.
I see, this might be the issue, but I did test it out using another cable
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00N2VJ2CG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speed issue didn't resolve. I am afraid that my motherboard's network card might have gone corrupted! :(

Not likely the motherboard. Most ethernet failures the port will just not work. Others it might run at 100mbps but not gigabit.

You need to actually test the speed.

Your other option is to boot a USB linux image. This will quickly show if it is some crap in windows.

The second cable you posted also looks suspect. They do not even post the details. Actual certified cables will have the detailed stamped on the side along with the marking EIA/TIA.

None of the photos show any markings that tends to be a fake cable or one that did not pay the required fee to be allowed to put the EIA/TIA markings. The cable looks thin so it may not have the proper size wires but that is very hard to tell from a photo.

Reactions: SamirD
Jun 7, 2021
Not likely the motherboard. Most ethernet failures the port will just not work. Others it might run at 100mbps but not gigabit.

You need to actually test the speed.

Your other option is to boot a USB linux image. This will quickly show if it is some crap in windows.

The second cable you posted also looks suspect. They do not even post the details. Actual certified cables will have the detailed stamped on the side along with the marking EIA/TIA.

None of the photos show any markings that tends to be a fake cable or one that did not pay the required fee to be allowed to put the EIA/TIA markings. The cable looks thin so it may not have the proper size wires but that is very hard to tell from a photo.
The second cable is from amazon basics, so hope it wasn't a fraud, but I get your point, I might just get a good cable for now to test it out.

Another point, I would like to make is that when testing the net out on my TV, it shows a speed of 95+mbps up/down using the ethernet cable provided by the TV manufacturer (which supports 100mbps max I suppose) but when I used that cable on my PC, it didn't show any positive results as well, I was still getting 50-60 mbps tops

Jun 7, 2021
When you have tried multiple cables you need to assume it is software issues of some kind. There are so many things it can be.
It is still the same try iperf or other file transfer other wise try the linux USB boot image to eliminate windows.
I will try the linux USB boot :( lets hope for the best

Reactions: SamirD
Jun 7, 2021
When you have tried multiple cables you need to assume it is software issues of some kind. There are so many things it can be.
It is still the same try iperf or other file transfer other wise try the linux USB boot image to eliminate windows.
I wanted to add a picture. I recently got a closed beta invite for a game, so while downloading from steam, I was getting 17.8 MBPS top speed(142 mbps) :/ why is my steam showing full speed while speed tests shows nothing? youtube is slow as well. . .

View: https://imgur.com/a/ZHz1Bd4

Youtube being slow has to be another problem. 50-60mbps is way more than youtube uses even for 4k video.

Since steam works this means your computer actually is fine. Steam does not use the web browsers. This is why I recommended you test file transfers inside your house. This makes the troubleshooting process much different.

Did you install any form of so called "gamer" network software. It can come bundled with the motherboard or some video cards. The one you see commonly is called cfosspeed but there are a could others. Anything you have installed related to QoS or gaming acceleration you should uninstall.

Have you tried multiple web browsers do they all show the same speeds on speedtest. Do you have any kind of vpn installed.

Maybe try to disable IPv6 support in the nic settings on your pc. Many times IPv6 addresses run slower and since your pc will run both ipv4 and ipv6 stuff you will get almost random results with some sites working fine and other slow.

I'd try two things at this point. One, get an ethernet cable locally. Why local? Because if they tried the same fake scam crap that's online, they'd have a lynch mob come get them. :D Keeps them selling honest working stuff.

If that doesn't solve it, boot up a TENS live cd/usb. You can make the usb using an empty usb flash drive and rufus. Then choose to boot off the usb and choose the option that's not windows. Test the speed there using the built-in browser and let's see what that tells us.