Question Slower PC: Possible SSD or HDD problem

palmamiguel92

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019
Two weeks ago more or less i started noticing that PC was slower, while playing games, which is mostly what i do since its a gaming setup. I started to get slower, laggy and sometimes freezes. To a point where it completely freezed windows functions, the bar wasnt working and i couldnt access the restart button, so i did through the Task Manager but my pc never restarted again, looping at the motherboard logo screen (MSI) I did run for problems on the disks and it did give me errors, but i did a system restore and i got it to boot to windows. Now, my HDD that use for games and personal filmes, was gone, so again i did a few tests and search for errors, turned off my PC and my HDD was there again, note that I only use my SSD for the OS and system integral files. After this i went to check for SSD errors using the windows tool and it did give me errors, so i ran chkdsk rebooted and it performed the fix just fine and booted again to windows. The HDD didnt show errors and i used various tools, I'm using WD tool to check again as I am writing this. But the PC is still slower, and today i tried to open games from my HDD and failed at once, the Windows File Explorer was slow and irresponsive navigating, extracting, pasting, downloading stuff. I was downloading a program for my HDD which has a downloader of its own and it failed to download it to my HDD (stuck at 0%, this was at the same time the File Explorer was irresponsive and slow), but after that I used Task Manager to reboot the Explorer and it was struggling to show my HDD and External HDD (which i have connected from time to time), closed the explorer and it showed them again, managed to download the program i was downloading and i actually could run the game i was trying to open. But the lag, system slowness always comes back.

I am going to change my hardware, but I don't want to spend money on a new SSD if my problem is actually HDD, or spend money on a new HDD when the problem is actually on the SSD. I really don't know which is causing the problem. Can the SSD affect what I'm opening on the HDD?

palmamiguel92

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

malware scan?

cpu/gpu temp and usage?
ram/ssd/hdd usage?
Now i lost access to my HDD ... but it could be from the WD tool
But i checked the temps today and they were fine
The usage is 23% CPU, 35% RAM and 29% Drive

CPU: i5 7600k 3,80ghz
Graphics is an Nvidea 1060gtx 6gb

As for the PSU I'll have to open the case but let me finish the WD tool scan

palmamiguel92

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019
Now i lost access to my HDD ... but it could be from the WD tool
But i checked the temps today and they were fine
The usage is 23% CPU, 35% RAM and 29% Drive

CPU: i5 7600k 3,80ghz
Graphics is an Nvidea 1060gtx 6gb

As for the PSU I'll have to open the case but let me finish the WD tool scan
The PSU is an TS Gold 650W if i'm not mistaken but i have to check
Edit: it is

Last edited:

palmamiguel92

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019
Ok the WD tool finished scanning my HDD and found no problems, weird stuff

No Malware, only an Adware was detected
Update:

After thge scan it started to get faulty again, couldn't open anything from the HDD, always went to secondary process. I tried to even open a video with VLC which i have installed in my HDD and it didnt open, so i tried to copy the video onto the SSD c drive and open it with the native video player and it opened. Now i wanted to start backing up stuff so i rebooted the pc so the HDD would be good again at least for a while but once again the PC didnt boot, stuck at the MSI logo, so i rebooted again, said it was a bad reboot, the pc performed an auto fix on the c drive (SSD) what the hell? booted again, and here we are. SSD drive gets erros but everything in there works fine but the HDD gives no errors but things dont work there, I am really confused by this.

palmamiguel92

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019
Also i noticed only now that my HDD light on the case is not blinking and is solid white light, the HDD is having unsual activity but i see nothing using it so much and making it freeze