slower then it should be

BigDiqJoe

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
Greetings, so a few months back I invested in a computer to destroy my old computer issues. Yet it does not preform as it should when taking the components it hold. I suffer from a slow browser, windows, FPS drops going from 150+ to solid 3 without temp issues. And this problem haven't always existed either, I mean it have but not at this extent. My first guess would be that it might be my old drive who is giving up, yet should that effect gameplay when the drive that is dying does not hold the game? One of these games being Diablo 3 running on the lowest settings.

Components:
Motherboard: MSI z270 sli plus (ms-7459)
gpu: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
processor: Intel(r) core 7i-6700k cpu 4.00GHz
Harddrive 1: Was unable to find it's name, but I think I got it around 2007 ish (holds windows.)
Harddrive 2: Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB (newest).
ssd: Unknown, gift from friend, yet old.
psu: some 800w psu, new.

I also recently removed what seemed to be a deffected ram stick, so I'm at one 4gb stick. And all drivers have been updated.

I know I am missing a lot of information regarding my PC, if anyone mention a better way then googleing serial numbers you get from device management please let me know.

The two reason I myself can think of is:
1. The oldest drive dying, since it does tend to lay around 70-100% workload including that it holds windows.
2. The ram decrease have impacted the game factor, yet I don't see how the browser and system gets slower by it.

yet I am not the best on computers, therefor I am seeking your advice.

Solution
I don't run backups either, but I do have my important documents, files, media, etc... saved off in a separate location in case of drive failure.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
While RAM is certainly an issue, my first question would be, did you reinstall Windows when you built this system or is it the same install from your old system? If you did not reinstall Windows, fresh, that (and RAM) is likely the issue.

-Wolf sends

BigDiqJoe

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

No I did not reinstall windows, I'd say I lack the knowledge about that subject in general. I may also add that I have not done a windows update in a long while because I don't have a activated version of windows and that will probably not change in a good while.

Wolfshadw

Titan

In that case, I would probably recommend using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to get a legitimate version of Windows onto your system. If you're not running Windows 10, I suggest you make that change now.

The good part in this is that you can run Windows 10 (minus some personalization features) without activation. Just skip that part when it comes up during the install. Purchase a legitimate license when you can. I know someone who has been running Windows 10 this way for almost a year with no other down sides.

-Wolf sends

BigDiqJoe

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

I will centenly give that a try, thanks for the advice. I'll keep in touch on how it turns out. Yet would you advice me to perhaps place windows on a better disk since nearly everything is slow not only gaming related. Because I myself think that might improve things.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you were crashing and/or getting BSODs, then I'd be concerned about a failing hard drive. If it's just running slow, then it's most likely just some conflicts between hardware and software that a fresh Windows install would have resolved. That's not to say you hard drive isn't failing, but until it actually does fail (and you do have backups, don't you?), I wouldn't worry about it.

-Wolf sends

BigDiqJoe

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

I do not run backups, know the value of it but never really used myself of it at all. Probably because I've yet never suffered a data loss