Question Slowest-opening Windows Apps for Benchmarking ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Midstr8

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015
Would be better for you to give us a list of apps to open. Or an app to track how fast our apps open. Because I don't have any older software. Or older hardware. Everything starts fast enough that i'm not concerned.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i was surprised when i went from a 3600x to a 5900x. it was plenty fast before but i can actually tell the difference in how fast stuff loads. it's not massive amount of time saved but i for sure notice it being just a bit snappier than before.

i'm sure it's less than a sec difference but i was surprised that i could actually see the difference.

Aeacus

Champion
Ambassador
From my top of the mind: M$ Word or any CAD program.

But regarding games, Sims 3 and Sims 4 are very slow to load. Especially when having (almost) all DLCs installed. E.g having Seasons DLC alone for Sims 3, almost doubles the time game loads, before you can play it. Things are so bad, that they even have included minigame for you to play, while the game loads (click and point hidden object game).

Oh, Sims 3 works without internet connection. Unsure about Sims 4, didn't test that.

Sep 25, 2022
Hi all,

I'm looking for some of the slowest opening apps that run in Windows. Caveat: these apps must not require an Internet connection and must be available in a stable version.

The idea is to benchmark what faster storage, RAM or CPU does to the app opening times. Any suggestions?
Hi,

I found out a few applications opening slowly. These are noticed when the device is in idle mode with free RAM available.

1. Microsoft Store

2. Windows Defender (with Norton Antivirus installed)

Hope this helps!

Sep 26, 2022
Saw this and had to supply my stand out worst performer: Photoshop 21 takes 19 seconds even if already in memory. Yes, it is from an SSD, 16GB RAM, i5 10600KF. Windows 10 itself is almost quicker. CS5 loads in 2 seconds for me so I use that for simple day-to-day stuff.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Microsoft IDEs like SQL Management Studio and Visual Studio are at the top of my lists as well, maybe PowerBI Desktop as well. Problem is they get updated a lot, so you might have to force having it not check.

But a consistent launch of a large excel file might be a good idea, though O365 will need to check in every once in a while. Do they still sell the standalone 2019?

ASK THE COMMUNITY