slowing down laptop pls help

pkn267

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
My lenovo Z580 lags so much ,it takes about 5 minutes for system to get started and for all the apps to work ,what should I do???It runs on a 4th gen intel core i5 processor 4gigs of ram , a nvidia gt630 m 1gb gpu, everything I do after it gets started is alright whether I play games or surf in net but it just taking a lot of time to get started,its ram usage is 50% and cpu is 7% what should I do to improve its performance pls help?

Solution

Many people swap out hard drives in laptops for an SSD, it makes a huge difference even in older systems. Just because it's a laptop does not mean anything. It won't help with gaming speeds, but if the system is slow...

H00dini

Commendable
Mar 5, 2017
Well, it's laptop after all... By the way how old is it? It may be dusty, the thermal compound may want to be changed or your Windows needs update...
Hope I helped somehow...

Unless you have a virus or spyware messing with the system, slow computers out of no-where can be a failing hard drive. Ram usage is fine for a 4 GB system, try a clean Windows setup on a new hard drive. SSD would be best to use, you can probably be fine with a smaller one like a 120 GB which are pretty cheap.

H00dini

Commendable
Mar 5, 2017
What?! Who would spend money for new ssd on a laptop?! I don't know for You but I would never buy one for laptop lol. After all it's a laptop, the specs aren't bad but they aren't good either. My opinion is to try the things that I said to You above - 1. Change Windows ; 2. As hang-the-9 said, install and check for viruses(try with Malwarebytes it's good program for cleaning things like this)...
If any of these tips didn't help You and the things keep annoying You go for pc because pc is always better for gaming!

Many people swap out hard drives in laptops for an SSD, it makes a huge difference even in older systems. Just because it's a laptop does not mean anything. It won't help with gaming speeds, but if the system is slow in general, a new hard drive will help.

Solution

pkn267

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017

Many people swap out hard drives in laptops for an SSD, it makes a huge difference even in older systems. Just because it's a laptop does not mean anything. It won't help with gaming speeds, but if the system is slow in general, a new hard drive will help.
As it did in my case as well. Iam replying after a really long time and that laptop still works.