[SOLVED] Slowly Losing Disk Space

Mario4155

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Today I installed Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) from a USB flash drive. Everything went well, until I noticed something weird. The disk on which I installed the OS is slowly losing space. The process is very slow (for now) kilobytes by kilobytes. So far I have lost some megabytes and I can't figure out what's causing it. I ran TreeSize, to clear of any potential restore points, but nothing.

Bare in my mind this is my FIRST time using Windows 10 (I was an XP user until now)

Any idea what's causing this and how to stop it?

Solution
That seems to be your page file growing. This is normal. Depending on your amount of availbale RAM, you can set your own upper limit of how large the page file can be

But be careful not to set it too low, otherwise you'll run into problems. With just 8GB RAM availbale, you don't want to reduce it too much

EDIT : You would have run into something similar on Windows XP with regards to the page file, as this is not a new feature
That seems to be your page file growing. This is normal. Depending on your amount of availbale RAM, you can set your own upper limit of how large the page file can be

But be careful not to set it too low, otherwise you'll run into problems. With just 8GB RAM availbale, you don't want to reduce it too much

EDIT : You would have run into something similar on Windows XP with regards to the page file, as this is not a new feature

Last edited:
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
The only thing I see wrong there is having only 74GB partition for Win 10.
That will become unmanageably small before too long.

When the next semi-annual update rolls around, that 74GB will seem pretty cramped.

But to your question - Multiple things will consume and release drive space. Pagefile, hibernation, temp files, Windows Updates (especially on a brand new install).

Reactions: ubercake

TRENDING THREADS