[SOLVED] SLT (Sri Lanka Telecom) Port Forwarding Issue

Mar 14, 2020
I'm looking for anyone from Sri Lanka that has gotten port forwarding to work on SLT. I'm trying to expose my plex server outside my network but can't seem to get it to work. I called my ISP about this but they said they haven't blocked any ports from their end.

New to this so any help is greatly appreciated

p.s: I can't seem to insert media into this post so you guys can find images relating to my router configs over here > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yrvheh8h927qu0j/AAAwsfGrJ5-eUmxBugLVu4Jqa?dl=0

Solution
Normally it is not a good idea to post IP addresses but in this case it likely does explain the issue.

I am not sure why you have 2 IP addresses in first screen. The one that is 100.90.x.x is what is called carrier NAT. That means there is a router in the ISP network doing NAT. You would have to put port forwarding rules in that router which you can't actually do.

Now the other IP address that starts with 29.x.x.x is not a valid internet address. This is registered to the department of defense and is not advertised on the internet. Your ISP may be using it because they know it will never conflict......unless you are on the DoD network which means you should not be posting here.

In any case neither of these addresses match...
Normally it is not a good idea to post IP addresses but in this case it likely does explain the issue.

I am not sure why you have 2 IP addresses in first screen. The one that is 100.90.x.x is what is called carrier NAT. That means there is a router in the ISP network doing NAT. You would have to put port forwarding rules in that router which you can't actually do.

Now the other IP address that starts with 29.x.x.x is not a valid internet address. This is registered to the department of defense and is not advertised on the internet. Your ISP may be using it because they know it will never conflict......unless you are on the DoD network which means you should not be posting here.

In any case neither of these addresses match the address you see on the can you see me. That IP is the actual IP you are using to access the internet. It is highly likely the 100.90.x.x. ip address is being translated to that.

Long story but it pretty much means you will never get port forwarding to work.

Only option is to see if you ISP offer public IP. Otherwise you look for something like a VPN provider that will assign you a public IP. These tend to be kinda expensive compared to other forms of simple VPN. If you are attempting to host a server it might be cheaper to rent from a hosting site.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

m4heshd

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
That's because SLT (Sri Lanka Telecom) by default set your ONT endpoint to have a private IP which will disallow port forwarding at your end.
Simply call their customer support and ask to be assigned a "public IP" for your connection (which I've done and proved to be working). It'll only take like an hour for them to do the update and you'll be good to go.