[SOLVED] Sluggish mouse

Badger51

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015
From time to time, my mouse is very sluggish and non-responsive. During these periods, it is difficult to control the mouse with any precision.

Do mice "wear out"? I think not because at times my trackball is very responsive but othertimes not.

What could be causing this sluggish behaviour?

Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS version information.

Make and model mouse? Age? Heavy use for gaming?

Batteries?

Manually download the mouse drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Mice do wear out - generally one button or another goes first. Or the scroll wheel perhaps.

Use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe what your system is doing. Use both tools but only one at a time.

Observe when the mouse is behaving normally and then again when the mouse becomes "very sluggish and non-responsive".

Could be some background app launching and grabbing resources to backup, update, or simply phone home.

Look in Task Manager's Startup tab. Be sure you recognize...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS version information.

Make and model mouse? Age? Heavy use for gaming?

Batteries?

Manually download the mouse drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Mice do wear out - generally one button or another goes first. Or the scroll wheel perhaps.

Use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe what your system is doing. Use both tools but only one at a time.

Observe when the mouse is behaving normally and then again when the mouse becomes "very sluggish and non-responsive".

Could be some background app launching and grabbing resources to backup, update, or simply phone home.

Look in Task Manager's Startup tab. Be sure you recognize and know everything that is being launched at startup.

Solution
Nov 7, 2020
I'm having a bit of the same issue, except I got mad and slammed my mouse. It's a pictek wired gaming mouse that costed around 12-15 dollars and ik that's a bit cheap for a gaming mouse but I just can't be asked to buy another. The sensor to the mouse is just kind of jittery, like it works perfectly sometimes but other times it just freezes for like 3 seconds and goes again, freezes for 1 second and goes again, like I've tried moving it around in circles and it works but when I'm actually trying to use the mouse, it freezes up every so often. I got it like about maybe a month or two ago so it's pretty recent and not that old, I don't know if I have to go INTO the mouse to fix it or it's just late response, I can't really tell.