[SOLVED] Sluggish PC & 100% Active Time on Backup HDD

Jan 30, 2019
Hello everyone!

Since few days I've been having a problem with my PC. I've noticed that at times my PC would freeze for couple of seconds and it became sluggish (not all the time). So I decided to invastigate this issue a little bit, and I found out that my backup HDD is constantly on 100% Active Time, but nothing is being read/written.

Here is a screenshot from task manager, and as you can see the RAM has plenty of free space and the CPU is not heavy loaded. Yet the drive is taking forever to show up in 'This PC' and copying a 54MB file can take up to 2hrs.
73d4a391bb897837661c1ca5504152ef.png

PC Specs:
CPU: i7-4770k
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: MSI GF GTX 1080

Any help will be appreciated!

EDIT: Upon further investigation, Windows uses that same drive for Page File.
EDIT2: After restarting the PC, it was fine for like 2-3 minutes.
EDIT3: Tried deleting a file from the drive, the response time is around 59k ms. With the read/write speeds jumping up and down, so the drive is doing something.

Solution
I have found the answer to my problem.

Windows was using that drive for paging, which seemed to really clog up the drive an halt it.
I've now moved the paging file to a different drive, and it seems to be running smoothly.
Jan 30, 2019
I have found the answer to my problem.

Windows was using that drive for paging, which seemed to really clog up the drive an halt it.
I've now moved the paging file to a different drive, and it seems to be running smoothly.

Solution
danielpokladek, do not wait for problems to arise before you consider backing up your info. Always have a back up plan in place.

The conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method. Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose.
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example).
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.