[SOLVED] SM961 SSD endurance rating TBW?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I have picked up a 1Tb SM961 (hp oem) NVME SSD. I looked up for the endurance rating in TBW, and surprisingly, my 10 minutes + googling wasn't able to find the information! Amazing to think company like Samsung sold so many drives to OEM clients without telling it's endurance rating. Perhaps the endurance changes between applications (by using higher/lower quality NAND chips)? Not that I expect to reach even 200TBW for its life but I am super curious now.

Solution
googled for PM961 warranty TBW (after a few tries)

Correct...that is just the warranty. A LOT of drives can exceed that number 10 fold.
In actual use, you will never ever get close to that.

From several years ago:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7173...w-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

"By far the most telling takeaway thus far is the fact that all the drives have endured 600TB of writes without dying. That’s an awful lot of data—well over 300GB per day for five years—and far more than typical PC users are ever likely to write to their drives. "

"At this rate, even the 840 Series may reach a...

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
thank you for the info.

to clarify, the information in your link seems to be a table, 1st column for OEM PM961 and 2nd column for retail 960 PRO.

Thus 3yr/400TBW applies to PM961. only 1/2 of the 960 PRO TBW which is interesting.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
googled for PM961 warranty TBW (after a few tries)

Correct...that is just the warranty. A LOT of drives can exceed that number 10 fold.
In actual use, you will never ever get close to that.

From several years ago:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7173...w-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

"By far the most telling takeaway thus far is the fact that all the drives have endured 600TB of writes without dying. That’s an awful lot of data—well over 300GB per day for five years—and far more than typical PC users are ever likely to write to their drives. "

"At this rate, even the 840 Series may reach a petabyte of writes before burning out. The others are on track to cross that threshold easily, and I expect we’ll be waiting a long time for their eventual demise. "

In terms of write cycles, your 1TB will long outlast this PC, and the next two.

Solution