[SOLVED] Small business office network setup suggestions

Sep 5, 2019
Hi all,

We would need to setup a small office network for around 30 users.
Please suggest the hardware accordingly which one is the best in the market.
I knew that I need the Basic requirements as below. But apart from that if you have any suggestions, it would be really helpful.
  1. Servers - Cab be Physical or Cloud server
  2. NAS
  3. Switch ( 48 port)
  4. Access points
  5. Firewall/Router
  6. VPN ( to connect from outside network)
  7. Office 365 or G suite for Emails
  8. Backup.
What if i want to setup everything in the cloud. Is that possible?

Solution
Server is way to generic what is it some little file server or some massive video rendering server. You generally don't use a NAS system if you have a server unless you get really big and have a storage network behind your servers. Again it depends what you mean by server.

If you put everything in cloud systems you don't need the vast majority of the function like vpn or firewalls or even backups if no data is kept locally. You pretty much have what is called thin clients.

Microsoft has pretty much rigged the licensing that you are better off just buying office including outlook email from them in their managed cloud solution. This also tends to get people to buy a completely solution from them rather than say lease data...
Server is way to generic what is it some little file server or some massive video rendering server. You generally don't use a NAS system if you have a server unless you get really big and have a storage network behind your servers. Again it depends what you mean by server.

If you put everything in cloud systems you don't need the vast majority of the function like vpn or firewalls or even backups if no data is kept locally. You pretty much have what is called thin clients.

Microsoft has pretty much rigged the licensing that you are better off just buying office including outlook email from them in their managed cloud solution. This also tends to get people to buy a completely solution from them rather than say lease data storage from say google and mail services from microsoft.

To a point this is what pre sales guys for cloud services do at these companies. You are large enough that you can call and get quotes from them. They will help you with some of the basic design. You in effect just outsource the whole mess to one of these companies. Huge enterprise companies have been doing this for years it has just gotten more cost effective for smaller businesses.

Solution
Sep 5, 2019

Microsoft has pretty much rigged the licensing that you are better off just buying office including outlook email from them in their managed cloud solution. This also tends to get people to buy a completely solution from them rather than say lease data storage from say google and mail services from microsoft.

To a point this is what pre sales guys for cloud services do at these companies. You are large enough that you can call and get quotes from them. They will help you with some of the basic design. You in effect just outsource the whole mess to one of these companies. Huge enterprise companies have been doing this for years it has just gotten more cost effective for smaller businesses.

Server i mean to say like HP Proliant server. can install Hyper V and use VM's for multiple servers ?
NAS system is just wanted to use like a backup system to store all the local data. We need to store all the local data and even when there is a threat should be able to restore it.

Would Active directory is a good choice to mange the users. groups ?

Last edited:
Hi all,

We would need to setup a small office network for around 30 users.
Please suggest the hardware accordingly which one is the best in the market.
I knew that I need the Basic requirements as below. But apart from that if you have any suggestions, it would be really helpful.
  1. Servers - Cab be Physical or Cloud server
  2. NAS
  3. Switch ( 48 port)
  4. Access points
  5. Firewall/Router
  6. VPN ( to connect from outside network)
  7. Office 365 or G suite for Emails
  8. Backup.
What if i want to setup everything in the cloud. Is that possible?

You need much more than a forum post to learn to do this. Unless this is for a classroom or test setup you need an IT pro to setup an office if you want the business to actually function. There is way too much setup that needs to be done for this to be done as you are learning. You also need to know what exactly the requirements are, office with 30 people could be a bunch of text entry or Pixar doing a movie needing $1,000 video cards. An IT professional would ask all those questions before giving you a budget and plan for setting things up.