Question Small Business with 2 offices needs to share files between 2 PC's.

Jun 16, 2018
Hello,

I need some guidance on setting up two separate PC's in two separate cities in a way that allows them to share files easily with one another.
We need to 'share' our powerful CAD pc using a screen sharing software and we also would like to easily transfer files from one machine to the other.

Is there a way to set up a shared folder for each rig that can be easily accessed and updated?
There will only be 1 PC that is used to remotely access the CAD PC, so all operations will be confined to these two rigs.

Although there are security concerns you can many of the remote access services like gotomypc or teamviewer. The concern is the company you buy the service from can see the data if they want to.

The other way to do this is put a VPN server in the router at the location with the CAD pc. You would then run a vpn client software either on the pc itself or on the router at the remote location. You would need a router that has the server function but that is getting fairly common. Most support openvpn which is easier to setup than other forms of vpn. The biggest issue is you must have a public IP at the server site. Then even if you have a public IP if it changes you are going to use a service like DYNDNS so your end client knows where to connect to.

It is much simpler to just use teamviewer or whatever if you can deal with the data passing through another company.

Jun 16, 2018
Although there are security concerns you can many of the remote access services like gotomypc or teamviewer. The concern is the company you buy the service from can see the data if they want to.

The other way to do this is put a VPN server in the router at the location with the CAD pc. You would then run a vpn client software either on the pc itself or on the router at the remote location. You would need a router that has the server function but that is getting fairly common. Most support openvpn which is easier to setup than other forms of vpn. The biggest issue is you must have a public IP at the server site. Then even if you have a public IP if it changes you are going to use a service like DYNDNS so your end client knows where to connect to.

It is much simpler to just use teamviewer or whatever if you can deal with the data passing through another company.

Thank you for the response. Security is a huge factor in all of this, the fewer eyes on the data the better.
I've been looking at a few VPN options for data management, Hamachi was a possibility but I wasn't sure I could trust them.

pfsense makes it fairly easy to create a site-to-site openvpn. The server should have a fixed ip. If the client does you can make a firewall rule only for the source ip. This will take care of file transfers.

remote VDI or remote desktop is a whole other beast. performance is going to be very very hard. you have to encode/decode h265 + encypt/decrypt AES at low latencies. this is added on to what ever ping you already have to the remote site. over 100ms is going to not be enjoyable to use. pretty much only specialized hardware can do ultra low latency.

nvidia has been making it's geforce now and they have really tuned that well. I use nvidia moonlight over LAN to a nvidia shield and it's able to do a H265 stream with 1ms latency, which is half the battle. someone like citrix might be able to keep added latency down, but cost a fortune (way more than buying a few extra CAD machines). it's still going to need 15Mbs+ upload speeds for it to look ok remotely.