[SOLVED] small cardboard piece fell into my psu through fan grill

sajtoslecso

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014
Hello

First time building pc, managed to get a very small piece be stuck inside my psu, i saw it on the plastic sheet, turned my psu with the fan grill facing downward to make it fall out, i dont see the piece anymore but i dont know if i was able to shake it out or if its still in there. Can it cause any problems if its still inside?

Thanks in advance for reply

Solution
Personally I might not feel at ease either, thinking it's in the PSU.

But cardboard is usually made of pulp from wood (like paper) or it's recycled paper and shouldn't be conductive, so on paper nothing should happen.

I don't think the cardboard piece would get that hot either in the PSU.

But can I say for certain it's 100% OK and absolutely nothing will happen? Not sure.

See if you can somehow lure and fish it out.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
How small?

I would use an air blower or hair dryer (set to cold air) through the grills from different angles for a few second and see if it flies up or out. If it's really small/light it might move about. Unless it's wedged under some component and can't move.

Hopefuly won't be an issue.

Reactions: sajtoslecso

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Personally I might not feel at ease either, thinking it's in the PSU.

But cardboard is usually made of pulp from wood (like paper) or it's recycled paper and shouldn't be conductive, so on paper nothing should happen.

I don't think the cardboard piece would get that hot either in the PSU.

But can I say for certain it's 100% OK and absolutely nothing will happen? Not sure.

See if you can somehow lure and fish it out.

Reactions: sajtoslecso
Solution