Question Small, Cheap Windows Tablet with USB

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
Hi,
I'm looking for a small-ish tablet that has a full sized USB port, and can run windows (or mac). I want to use this tablet as a hand held screen for an Apogee SQ-520 Par Sensor. The software needs to run on windows or macos. But laptops aren't really "hand held" size.
I know very little about windows tablet or small hand held devices.

Apogee says the device (windows tablet, for eg.) needs to have USB, and says that an adapter (eg. micro to full sized USB) wouldn't work.

Honestly, the smaller the device, the better. And it doesn't have to be new, in fact - the cheaper the better, used from amazon or ebay would be ideal.

This page is the software, where it says "
USB Quantum Sensor Software - Models SQ-420 (changed June 1, 2021), SQ-420X, SQ-520, and SQ-616": https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/downloads/

Thanks.

Well, you're not going to find a macOS tablet because Apple will be more than happy to sell you an iPad for that purpose.

In any case, I'll throw in the Microsoft Surface Go 3. There are a lot of other 10" Windows tablets on Amazon, but I think the Go 3 is the best if you're looking for something reasonably affordable to just gather data.

If you need it "ruggedized", there's plenty of cases for it.

Reactions: Compused

USAFRet

Titan
Well, you're not going to find a macOS tablet because Apple will be more than happy to sell you an iPad for that purpose.

In any case, I'll throw in the Microsoft Surface Go 3. There are a lot of other 10" Windows tablets on Amazon, but I think the Go 3 is the best if you're looking for something reasonably affordable to just gather data.

If you need it "ruggedized", there's plenty of cases for it.
I was going to suggest a Surface, but 'cheap' is not that.
Maybe a used one.

Or possibly an Asus Transformer.
I have one.

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
Thanks for the suggestions @hotaru.hino and @USAFRet. Looks like they both have a full sized usb port. But yea, the cost is high. It'd almost certainly be cheaper to just buy a version of the Apogee sensor that comes with a "meter" (hand held screen). That would be about $250 more than the usb sensor and a windows based "tablet", by the sounds of it.

But I will have a look for some used products that you mentioned and see what I can find.

Thank you.

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
What is your actual budget for this?
For the tablet? Or the whole setup?

Well, the usb sensor would cost me about, say $550. Apogee SQ-520.
(But then it requires a device with macos or windows. I have a laptop, but not only is a laptop difficult to hold while holding the sensor out under the light with the other hand, but I have an old, heavy laptop. The laptop could be just set on a stool, chair, etc., but I might like to hold a screen instead.)

The sensor that comes pre-attached to a small meter/screen would cost about $800. Apogee MQ-500.

Prices are CAD.

Apr 14, 2022
@Compused I just bought a SQ-420X from BRS and sucessfully used my wife's apple laptop (IDK apple products at all so I cant speak to the model) that only has usb-c connections. I was able to use her multi usb type dongle and connect with no issues so at least in this case what Apogee stated about incompatibility with adapters is incorrect.

I downloaded their Android app but havent gotten a chance to test that out yet but it looks geared more towards blu tooth devices at first glance. Also, I created an account here just to respond to your inquiry as I happened to come across this while looking for more info about the Apogee software.

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
@Compused I just bought a SQ-420X from BRS and sucessfully used my wife's apple laptop (IDK apple products at all so I cant speak to the model) that only has usb-c connections. I was able to use her multi usb type dongle and connect with no issues so at least in this case what Apogee stated about incompatibility with adapters is incorrect.

I downloaded their Android app but havent gotten a chance to test that out yet but it looks geared more towards blu tooth devices at first glance. Also, I created an account here just to respond to your inquiry as I happened to come across this while looking for more info about the Apogee software.
Hi.

Thanks very much for taking the time to make an account and reply to my thread/question. I appreciate that.
It is good to know tha you had success with using a usb-c to full size usb adapter dongle. I would suspect (just a guess) that there's something specifically different (different than a device that traditionally wouldn't be used with full size usb accessories - like a phone?) about the usb-c port on a laptop (in this case a macbook) that doesn't have any full size usb ports. The macbook needs to work with so many accessories and devices that do use a full size usb connector that I'd think it needs a usb-c port that's configured/wired to be able to easily make all the same internal connections needed for full size usb when an "adapter" is plugged in.
I hope that makes sense, and I don't know if I'm right.

The android app isn't going to work. I tried it though, just to see. It's for bluetooth, and it works with apogee's (extremely expensive) bluetooth dongle device. I have a galaxy phone that has "usb otg", which allows the use of full size usb peripherals (like keyboards, usb microscopes, etc), when using a usb otg adapter. I even tried that, knowing it wouldn't work because there is no "apogee connect" software for android, only that bluetooth software for the apogee bt dongle.

I'd think it can't be very difficult for apogee to release the apogee connect software for android, but they must just not want to. Being able to just connect this usb par sensor to my android phone would be absolutely fantastic.

I really want to not have to lug a laptop over to various locations and plant canopies. I thought for sure there would be a (relatively) cheap windows based hand held sized device I could use for this. Even some device that could have windows installed even though it isn't meant to be instaled (hacked, easily modded, whatever).

So you have this one: https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/sq-420x-smart-quantum-sensor-usb-output/ ?

I assume you're using this for an aquarium maybe? And it'll only be used there, with a very nearby laptop?

Thanks again.

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
Small pcs that run windows, and have full sized ports, I've come across so far:

"Ockel Serius A"
"Peakago"
"GPD microPC" (several models)

None of them are "cheap" as far as I can see.

Last edited: