Question Small cpu cooler problem .. kinda strange

hrisimir

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
Basically I run a a medium grade system at best gtx 1060 gb i5 7500, 2x8 gbs hyperfury x ram some sort of a psu (it gets the job done mind you). But the cpu cooler is making a very strange prt prt prt prt noise here's a video
View: https://youtu.be/OHST68cv5ZI
from time to time stops but usually it is there above 1300 rpm or so. Using arctic freezer 13 which is with push up pins. I tested whatever I could with prime 95 for cpu stress test and multimetered around the mobo and the psu to check voltages and everything is fine. 2h session of prime cpu was on 52 degrees max at 2200 rpm (all temps are all around the board cool AF) . I don't mind the whoooshing air sound that is well.. usual for a fan but this ticking noise so to speak is annoying me to no tomorow. Is there any Idea what could it be or from where.

I think fan (bearing) is worn out. It's not good idea to run fan for longer at such high speeds -because it degrades fan's life span considerably.
You don't need to run CPU at such low temperatures as 52°C. CPU will work just fine at 75°C (for example) where CPU fan would run only at 1200rpm.. result: silent PC and fan will last "forever".

hrisimir

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
hmmm sadness then since this cooler fan is impossible to find cuz of it's unusual shape much less the way it's attached is with 4 metal brackets from the inside of the fan. Hopefully this one will last me till I chose a new heatsink + fan

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
It’s either the fan is unbalanced or like hrisimir menioned, the bearing is shot. I would take the fan off the cooler and inspect for an off-chance that there’s a foreign object that got stuck in there somehow.

It’s for this reason I only buy CPU coolers that use standard fans which can be replaced with a another brand, like Noctua.

hrisimir

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
I mean when I plug it off there is no resistance whatsoever when I turn it by hand and the sound actually starts and stops literally randomly. I would have thought it was bearing too if something else other than the sounds signs to it but it simply doesnt. What fan unbalance means?. do I need to clean it with alchohol or smth because grime on fins or?