small cube microatx case and PSU, family room PC

keithth

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I've got some older parts that I'm trying to repurpose: Intel DQ45CB mobo, Intel® Core2 Quad Processor Q9550, 8 GB of ram.

The goal is to build a general purpose Windows 10 PC for lightweight tasks like web browsing and kid-like yahoo gaming. I plan on using a spare SSD (which will be underutilized since this is sata II vs III), no video card, a keyboard and a mouse. This is my first machine that will be in our living space. I've built several other mid-towers for my man cave.

Can someone please recommend a just-big-enough microatx cube case and a power supply that isn't too pricey? I don't think I'd want to spend more than a combined $125 for the pair. I don't want junk, so I'd be flexible to go over that if that's what's required to get something decent. I'm in the US buying from typical sources like newegg, amazon, etc.

The Q9550 is 95W TDP, and there's not much math beyond that required for PSU calculations. 24-pin power + 4 pin square connector required.

I don't have the matching fan, but do have stock fans from that same generation. Would a fairly stock Intel fan be sufficient to cool that CPU?

Since this is going to be used in a family room, I've thought about using some type of wireless keyboard with an integrated trackball, so it could be used on a lap. Any thoughts there?

Appreciate the advice!

https://ark.intel.com/products/33924/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9550-12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

https://ark.intel.com/products/34687/Intel-Desktop-Board-DQ45CB

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/P45_G45_Q45/DQ45CB/DQ45CB_TechProdSpec.pdf

EDIT: I don't believe that the board supports USB 3.0, so front panel ports that accept USB 2.0 connections would be best!

Solution
Thermaltake Core V21 Micro ATX Cube $70
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze EVO Edition (80 PLUS Certified Full Modular) $55

I would recommend a USB 3.0 PCIe card ($10) with a 20-PIN interface for the front panel USB 3.0 ports.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They don't really make very many cube like Micro ATX cases. Usually reserved for Mini ITX.

There are plenty of small towers though, and only you can really decide what is going to end up in the living room.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#sort=price&f=7&t=7

Some will come with power supplies that are adequate for an HTPC.

As for peripherals, there are plenty of bluetooth and wireless keyboards to pick from. Some with trackpads even.

keithth

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

Thanks, I ended up ordering what you suggested.

That Thermaltake case ended up being a fair bit larger than I original thought it would be. It's nice that the mobo installs flat and horizontally. I'm just using the built-in fan for now, this is definitely one of the best case designs I've seen for airflow. Perhaps it's just really "holey" but there's no doubt that you could add more fans and really achieve some low temps given the design.

The power supply bracket that has to be installed separately and was a pain in the butt. The diagrams/instructions were shite, and it really took me a while to figure out how to connect the two pieces. I wonder if that bracket was really even necessary.

It's interesting that the cube can be any side up or down --- could get some interesting configurations going.

I will say that it should be possible to make a MUCH smaller mATX case. I could have made something half that height work, and probably about 75% of it's existing front-to-back depth. There were probably better/small cases, but I struggled to find one easily.

Thanks!

There are smaller cases, because of the cube shape, it ends up been larger than other shapes (mini towers or mini desktops).
Besides the front panel, the case design allows for panels to be re-positioned in other places. The top could be the bottom, the bottom could be the top, etc.You can even stack this cube on top of each other.
I like that you can move the front I/O panel from one side into another and so does the rails for the fans or radiators.
You have to admit that it is a pretty clever case and there was some thought put in to building it.
You can pretty much fit any type of component.
About the PSU, it has to be installed first. I had the same issues with those brackets, because you have to figure out which way its up before installing the PSU..
The first time I tried, I installed the PSU incorrectly. Those brackets hold the PSU in place.