Question Small Electric Fan Motor

inmoncolley

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
Not sure this is the right forum for this....
My "Ease Home" model TF-20B-L 20" floor fan with a Massey TF-20L motor stopped. Yes, it's an Aldi special, no less! This small fan put out more air volume than my industrial floor fan and a lot quieter. It's the main reason I bother trying to fix it. I've never had a 'cheap' floor fan that put out the air volume this one did. At first I thought it was the capacitor. Further troubleshooting found a well-hidden 2A heat sensor fuse blown. I replaced it. The fan worked but did not have the speed nor volume. So, I replaced the cap with an equivalent 10uf. It worked better than the original but still not 'up to speed' or, volume. After letting it run for 30+ mins, it started slowing down until it almost stopped. I turned it off, waited 5 mins or so and turned it back on. It ran for about 3 mins and started slowing down again. I have not tried another cap.
The motor is clean with no apparent damage to the Stator or Armature. It didn't appear overheated or have a 'burn' smell. It seems as if the cap isn't doing its job. I wanted to get a second opinion before continuing.
Sure would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction as to what to do next?

kanewolf

Titan
Not sure this is the right forum for this....
My "Ease Home" model TF-20B-L 20" floor fan with a Massey TF-20L motor stopped. Yes, it's an Aldi special, no less! This small fan put out more air volume than my industrial floor fan and a lot quieter. It's the main reason I bother trying to fix it. I've never had a 'cheap' floor fan that put out the air volume this one did. At first I thought it was the capacitor. Further troubleshooting found a well-hidden 2A heat sensor fuse blown. I replaced it. The fan worked but did not have the speed nor volume. So, I replaced the cap with an equivalent 10uf. It worked better than the original but still not 'up to speed' or, volume. After letting it run for 30+ mins, it started slowing down until it almost stopped. I turned it off, waited 5 mins or so and turned it back on. It ran for about 3 mins and started slowing down again. I have not tried another cap.
The motor is clean with no apparent damage to the Stator or Armature. It didn't appear overheated or have a 'burn' smell. It seems as if the cap isn't doing its job. I wanted to get a second opinion before continuing.
Sure would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction as to what to do next?
I would think it is a bearing/bushing failure. That would cause excess resistance, slowing and overheating.

inmoncolley

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
I would think it is a bearing/bushing failure. That would cause excess resistance, slowing and overheating.
Thanks kanewolf. The armature shaft runs through bushings with oil soaked felts which were actually still 'wet' but I saturated them again. It spins smoothly manually, there's no apparent wobble and the motor didn't feel hot just warm as expected. You're probably correct. It's something I will check again. Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks kanewolf. The armature shaft runs through bushings with oil soaked felts which were actually still 'wet' but I saturated them again. It spins smoothly manually, there's no apparent wobble and the motor didn't feel hot just warm as expected. You're probably correct. It's something I will check again. Thanks.
Remember there is also a bushing/bearing on the tail of the shaft. If you can see the shaft, a failing bearing/bushing would generally score the shaft.

inmoncolley

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
Remember there is also a bushing/bearing on the tail of the shaft. If you can see the shaft, a failing bearing/bushing would generally score the shaft.
Thanks again kanewolf. I'm going to pull it apart, again, to check. Both ends had a tight fit. I didn't notice any burrs but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I'll get back in a couple of days or so as to my 'adventure'. Would 1500+ grit do more harm than good?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks again kanewolf. I'm going to pull it apart, again, to check. Both ends had a tight fit. I didn't notice any burrs but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I'll get back in a couple of days or so as to my 'adventure'. Would 1500+ grit do more harm than good?
If it was me, I would use a little bit of automotive polishing compound to polish the spindles. You don't want to take off much material.

inmoncolley

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
Got it kanewolf. Thanks and I'll get back as soon as I can.
Update: I used auto rubbing compound on both ends of the armature shaft and as best I could on the bushings then coated the shaft and bushings with a thin layer of silicone grease. I ran the fan for about 1.5 hours. While not really up to speed, it didn't slow down although I could hear some 'wow and flutter'. There's a 'hum' on high and a louder, more pronounced hum on low. It sounds like a motor under stress. The new cap helped only slightly. I could touch the motor but one would not want to keep their finger there for long. At this point, the fan is 'ok' for occasional use. It's definitely not 100%. As I tried to impress upon those who were using this fan, it wasn't designed to run 24/7. Bearings over bushings would have prolonged it's life. Thanks again for your help