Question Small files download at a higher download speed than larger files

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
So I'm trying to download a file that is about 38 GB, and it's downloading at about 20 kbp/s, which translates to about 15 days, which is just sickening to think about. When I download files that are much smaller, for example one that is 20 MB, it downloads at about 4-5 mbp/s, because that is the normal download rate for my PC. I have tried using a different browser, and I have tried optimizing my internet connection, but none has worked. I want to fix this without reinstalling windows.

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
Where do you download that file from?
From Oceanofgames. The specific link is: pirate link removed
Also, I have figured out that it is not my internet connection, it is the browser's download speed. And it's probably such a large file that it's not able to download it fast enough while reading all the data. But I just want to see what everyone else says. This is a big problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Oceanofgames. The specific link is:
Also, I have figured out that it is not my internet connection, it is the browser's download speed. And it's probably such a large file that it's not able to download it fast enough while reading all the data. But I just want to see what everyone else says. This is a big problem.

I scored a download speed of 30Kps.

The file is hosted on a server in Germany, they probably have a subscription plan with shared bandwidth so you will not get a high speed download like with big companies who have datacenters across the world.

Problem is that file downloading usually has time limit (session), once the session is expired you will have to restart de download.

Just what I see.

23 to 28KB/s....note the large B.
16 to 18 days to complete.

USAFRet

Titan
It is a "big problem", only if there is something you can actually do about it.

1. What speed do you get testing from speedtest.net, with a wired connection to your router?
  2. Your system and software is only part of the equation. The server where you're getting this from has as much or more control of the trasfer speed as you do. Which brings us to #3...
  3. 'oceanofgames' is not a valid site to obtain software. They distribute pirated games. As such, this thread is closed. Tom's Hardware neither condones nor assists with issues surrounding pirated software.
Solution?
Obtain your software from its real publisher, and you'll likely not have a problem.

Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.