Question Small form factor case that fits an ATX motherboard?

Tennis987

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
Hey all,

I am building a small desk PC for my nephew on his birthday that he will use to play some light games like Minecraft and other's. I plan on giving him my old Ryzen 2600 CPU that currently sits in my MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard with a Hyper 212 EVO and was wondering what case's you all recommend for something small that is able to fit it in. I also have a spare Corsair CX600M PSU i can put in. That leaves me with money to spend on RAM, a case, SSD, and GPU. If there are none, I might just bite the bullet and order a micro/mini ATX case and do a cheap build from scratch with an integrated Ryzen GPU.

Let me know if there is anything I can elaborate on for use cases.

I plan on giving him my old Ryzen 2600 CPU that currently sits in my MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard with a Hyper 212 EVO
I might just bite the bullet and order a micro/mini ATX case and do a cheap build from scratch with an integrated Ryzen GPU.
Let me know if there is anything I can elaborate on for use cases.
MSI B450 Tomahawk is ATX board and requires ATX case.
It will not fit into mATX nor mITX case.

Tennis987

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
Define "small desk PC". Like a mini-tower or cube style case? Is there a physical limitation where the PC must fit?

For example: https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-006X-002P3?Description=cube matx&cm_re=cube_matx--9SIBE02JD66492--Product&quicklink=true
I was hoping something similar to a mini tower yes. The PC does not have to go anywhere, it will most likely be a desk or ground PC, but I figured, the less space that was able to be taken for a 11 year old's desk, the better. Ideally I was planning on adding a small screen that can stick to the PSU shroud to display a picture/video slidshow of his favorite games to spice it up a little but that seems more like something suited for a mid tower.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I was hoping something similar to a mini tower yes. The PC does not have to go anywhere, it will most likely be a desk or ground PC, but I figured, the less space that was able to be taken for a 11 year old's desk, the better. Ideally I was planning on adding a small screen that can stick to the PSU shroud to display a picture/video slidshow of his favorite games to spice it up a little but that seems more like something suited for a mid tower.
Should be just right for a kiddo.

https://www.newegg.com/white-fracta...-tower/p/N82E16811352067?Item=N82E16811352067

Tennis987

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
MSI B450 Tomahawk is ATX board and requires ATX case.
It will not fit into mATX nor mITX case.
I was hoping this was not the "case" and that there were some hybrid ones that popped up recently. Well then, what would you recommend for a slim micro atx chassis that ideally will fit my PSU? Preferably no glass side panel as I will be shipping it out and am worried about it cracking.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check out the Silverstone Grandia series.

For instance:
SILVERSTONE Black Grandia GD09B HTPC Case - Newegg.com

You would have to check the cooler height, I am not positive the Hyper 212 will fit. I recall it being close. Other aspects to watch in this case is build power and size of the GPU. It will fit ATX mobo and PSU. A Gaming X GTX 1080 is inside mine. I needed adapters to turn the GPU power 180* but there are plenty of cards smaller than that one.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS