[SOLVED] Small Form Factor Graphics Card suggestion/advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

msimon7

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello.
I'm looking to replace my graphics card in my HTPC I built and really could use some expert advice.
I currently have a Zotac 660 Ti and it is listed as 7.53" x 4.38" x 1.39". It has served me well for the past 7 years, and only replacing it because it can't support the latest games. I'm not a huge gamer, but did buy RDR2 and the kids and I can't play it. Plus I'm hoping to get some other benefits out of a new card.

My PC specs are:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155 v1.1
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Case: Silverstone GD01B-MXR HTPC

Any suggestions would really be appreciated. I'm not sure what is compatible with my board. Size is the overriding factor as to what card I can get.

I've had good luck with Nvidia cards and prefer those. I'd like to get 8gb on the card, but if 6gb seems acceptable for now and future, I can go that way. Also looking into doubling my PC's memory from 8 to 16, but need to look at what is compatible and if I shouldn't replace the existing 8 (4x2) with a completely new set instead of adding another 8 to the existing (kind of a second question for you there too).

thanks very much!

Solution
RDR2 definitely needs/wants more than 4 CPU threads. That being said, it's a bit of a dumpster fire in terms of game engine & coding quality, so while that's the game the OP mentioned, it's not the best game to make broad generalizations from.

I too own a i5-3570K (OC'd to 4.2GHz) and a RX480. It's still plenty capable of playing at 1080p high settings on many games @ 60+ FPS. However, you start to run into issues in some multiplayer games, and CPU-bound games.

TBH, I'm very aware of my CPU limitation, but I'm just not that impressed about CPUs and GPUs this year. I'll be waiting until the 2020 release of Ryzen 4xxx

Back to the topic at hand: It looks like you've got a 5.5" width (which may need to include power...

msimon7

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Probably just hitting that CPU limitation.
Have you OCd your CPU or at least enabled MCE?
By the way, got the OSD to finally show. I tried multiple different hotkeys as I knew it was configured properly - and the one that finally worked for me was mapping the 'home' key. Go figure. Got it rolling though. thanks again

1660 super is a good card and quite energy efficient which means cool and quiet operation

1660 regular avoid as the gpu memory is half in terms of speed and that does matter

gigabyte does a itx form factor size card

card number GV-N166SIXOC-6GD

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081715P57/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=GV-N166SIXOC-6GD&qid=1574523014&sr=8-1

currently out of but worth the wait

as for your i5 3570k i havent had issues with below average frame rates unless the game is coded like ass

1660 super is more then enough for 1080p

just a final note make sure you uninstall the current gpu driver before installing the new card as this could cause a crash if you dont