[SOLVED] Small Form Factor NAS/Server Hosting Case

ExtreamChaozZ

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Hiya,

Im on the hunt for a new case that will serve the purpose of acting as a NAS with high storage as well as hosting game servers to reduce the stress of my main computer.
While looking around i cant seem to find the "perfect" case that will suit my needs, with that in mind i was hoping i could get some recommendations.

Im looking for a case that can support the following:
  • Multiple 3.5" HDD enclosers for mass storage such as the Barracuda Iron Wolf Series, up to 5 drive slots would be nice.
  • Enough room for up to a Micro ITX motherbord
  • Plenty of airflow to keep everything cool
  • Quietness is a major factor
  • Support for an SFX PSU
  • Plenty of room to add a GPU or Network card.
  • The ability to hot swap drives would be nice but not required.
  • The cheaper the better, im after compatibility not bling. Dont care for RGB or glass side pannels etc..
This server will act as mass storage with redundancy over my network while also hosting dedicated gaming servers from time to time. It will only run 1 server at a time and wont be running 24/7 though.

On the topic of picking out components if there are suggestions for good reliable parts for a good price let me know. My whole budget is set around £500, so i just need it to work and be reliable.

Of course i'll probably wait for the "current" situation to calm down before buying anything, but id like to have a part list ready to go.

Cheers in advance for advice given though.

Solution
There are CPUs these days without integrated graphics. Therefore, you'd need a graphics card to see anything on a monitor plugged into that machine. Or are you capable of managing a headless system?

Intel's 10th gen CPUs were just announced, all with hyper threading. Going to be a few weeks till they're available. AMD is also launching its B550 mobos on June 15 (not sure if retail availability will be that day though).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400 2.9 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor (£147.90 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9 Plus 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£27.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£78.48 @ Amazon UK)...
There are CPUs these days without integrated graphics. Therefore, you'd need a graphics card to see anything on a monitor plugged into that machine. Or are you capable of managing a headless system?

Intel's 10th gen CPUs were just announced, all with hyper threading. Going to be a few weeks till they're available. AMD is also launching its B550 mobos on June 15 (not sure if retail availability will be that day though).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400 2.9 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor (£147.90 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9 Plus 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£27.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£78.48 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£44.20 @ CCL Computers)
Case: BitFenix Phenom M Arctic White MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£68.99 @ AWD-IT)
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£67.26 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £504.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-12 17:04 BST+0100

Last edited:
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I used a Lian Li, 'Q' series IIRC that met most of your criteria. Had slots for (5) 3.5" hot swappable, and additional tray storage for (2) 2.5". It's airflow was acceptable but didn't lend itself well to high powered equipment of the time. It was for an ATX power supply.