[SOLVED] Small FPS drops with RTX 3080 ?

jacob.hultqvist1

Reputable
Oct 16, 2018
So while playing FH5 i have noticed some small FPS drops occurring maybe once every 60 seconds.
I'm playing at around 140-150 FPS and when the drop happens it goes down to about 120 and then instantly up again to 140-150. Visually you can clearly see it happening aswell which is the annoying thing.
I tried looking at my HWMonitor when this happened. Noticed that GPU usage went from around 98% down to 70% when the stutter happens, it goes down and up simultaneously with the FPS. Didnt notice anything scetchy with temps or CPU usage/temps etc.
PC Specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080
  • SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
  • SSD: Kingston SA2000M81000G 1TB
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB
  • RAM: Corsair CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 2x8GB
  • MBD: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
  • PSU: ASUS ROG Strix 850 80+ GOLD
Anyone who has an idea why this is happening and what i can do? Everything is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Yep it's on the 840, and nothing else on there, about 60 GBs of free space on it.

I hope this link works :D

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47691488
I believe the issue is the SSD. Not just because the userbenchmark also shows it, but because in my experience the smaller capacity, older generation SSDs were very poor performance wise. Since you got more than one, try using the other for a new installation and see if you have any improvements.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard? Also what version(not edition) of Windows 10(assuming you're on it and not Windows 11) are you on? Have you tried uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU and then using the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, installing said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsitrator?

Have you been able to recreate the issue on another title?

jacob.hultqvist1

Reputable
Oct 16, 2018
Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard? Also what version(not edition) of Windows 10(assuming you're on it and not Windows 11) are you on? Have you tried uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU and then using the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, installing said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsitrator?

I did my best, tell me if i'm doing this wrong :)
BIOS Version: "American Megatrends Inc. 2401, 2021-05-25"
And windows version: Version 20H2 (OS-Version 10042.1288)
unknown.png

I have not tried DDU yet but i could give it a try.

As far as other games go RDR2 works flawless, had a single stutter but that was in a cutscene otherwise nothing during gameplay.
Then i tried GTA V and i had stutters just like in FH5... (FYI i havent played GTA V for a couple weeks but i never had stutters in that game before)
I turned down the settings in FH5 to high and ran benchmark mode, still had some stutters, i'll put a screenshot below.

Also, 3 drops doesnt seem like a big deal but remember the benchmark is only two minutes..

unknown.png

Last edited:

jacob.hultqvist1

Reputable
Oct 16, 2018
I did my best, tell me if i'm doing this wrong :)
BIOS Version: "American Megatrends Inc. 2401, 2021-05-25"
And windows version: Version 20H2 (OS-Version 10042.1288)
unknown.png

I have not tried DDU yet but i could give it a try.

As far as other games go RDR2 works flawless, had a single stutter but that was in a cutscene otherwise nothing during gameplay.
Then i tried GTA V and i had stutters just like in FH5... (FYI i havent played GTA V for a couple weeks but i never had stutters in that game before)
I turned down the settings in FH5 to high and ran benchmark mode, still had some stutters, i'll put a screenshot below.

Also, 3 drops doesnt seem like a big deal but remember the benchmark is only two minutes..

unknown.png

update: tried DDU (followed jayztwocents video from last month), but i still have the same issue

jacob.hultqvist1

Reputable
Oct 16, 2018

Sorry if im bothering you. i created a log file with afterburner, everytime the usage drops, thats when i notice it in game but i dont know what to do with all this info. maybe you can have a look?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/421263453261398027/906597661459771463/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/421263453261398027/906597818179944559/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/421263453261398027/906597984588951582/unknown.png

So while playing FH5 i have noticed some small FPS drops occurring maybe once every 60 seconds.
I'm playing at around 140-150 FPS and when the drop happens it goes down to about 120 and then instantly up again to 140-150. Visually you can clearly see it happening aswell which is the annoying thing.
I tried looking at my HWMonitor when this happened. Noticed that GPU usage went from around 98% down to 70% when the stutter happens, it goes down and up simultaneously with the FPS. Didnt notice anything scetchy with temps or CPU usage/temps etc.
PC Specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080
  • SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
  • SSD: Kingston SA2000M81000G 1TB
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB
  • RAM: Corsair CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 2x8GB
  • MBD: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
  • PSU: ASUS ROG Strix 850 80+ GOLD
Anyone who has an idea why this is happening and what i can do? Everything is greatly appreciated!
Is the OS installed on the 840? Not having enough free space on SSDs result on poor performance on their side.

Can you run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here?

Yep it's on the 840, and nothing else on there, about 60 GBs of free space on it.

I hope this link works :D

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47691488
I believe the issue is the SSD. Not just because the userbenchmark also shows it, but because in my experience the smaller capacity, older generation SSDs were very poor performance wise. Since you got more than one, try using the other for a new installation and see if you have any improvements.

Reactions: jacob.hultqvist1
Solution