Question Small Gaming Cafe, running 10-15 computer setups what tier of computer should I aim for?

May 26, 2020
For budgeting we want to keep it 1000-1500$ per computer, but that would include desks (probably long counter material), chairs, monitor, mouse and keyboard. I have experience building computers back when finding an extra core on an AMD was a thing but not much lately. We are located in California, any help is appreciated. Thank You

Ok Go

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Are you planning to open this year? This pandemic is messing up with pc bang business. I have a small 20 client pc bang myself. Been closed since late march. Since this pandemic the prices soared, i planned to upgrade to a 2.5g lan network this month but have to scrap the idea indefinitely for price and availability issues.

My pc bang is equiped with ryzen 3400g atm without dedicated gpu because the target market only plays esport tittles like dota lol csgo gtav, almost no demand for aaa games. Also used a diskless client system now using pxe boot, makes managing game and os updates a breeze since i only need to update in the server once, but the downside is loading time is slower than using ssd but still bearable on a 1gig network.

May 26, 2020
Are you planning to open this year? This pandemic is messing up with pc bang business. I have a small 20 client pc bang myself. Been closed since late march. Since this pandemic the prices soared, i planned to upgrade to a 2.5g lan network this month but have to scrap the idea indefinitely for price and availability issues.

My pc bang is equiped with ryzen 3400g atm without dedicated gpu because the target market only plays esport tittles like dota lol csgo gtav, almost no demand for aaa games. Also used a diskless client system now using pxe boot, makes managing game and os updates a breeze since i only need to update in the server once, but the downside is loading time is slower than using ssd but still bearable on a 1gig network.

Yes, I've noticed an increase in computer parts and have been playing with a few different builds. We are opening within the next 4-6 weeks. I don't know if it's worth waiting for prices to come down or to start by opening with all the merchandise I already have and then trickle in the computers as we get decent prices for them.

What program do you use for timing the computer use and allowing the customers adequate time for renewing or finishing up what they are using the computer for.

For the esports crowd, I get the older games are super popular and lucky for us they don't require a really great rig to play. But I also want to attract gamers with newer games and AAA titles as well. Alternatively I can put a switch/PS4/Xbox setup with the computers.

USAFRet

Titan
We are opening within the next 4-6 weeks.

What program do you use for timing the computer use and allowing the customers adequate time for renewing or finishing up what they are using the computer for.

With those questions, you are not even close to opening in 6 weeks.
Infrastructure, networking, management, security, software configs/backup/reflashing...all come LONG before speccing out individual customer systems.

And prices on the systems aren't coming down in that 4-6 week timeframe. Maybe by Christmas. Maybe.

May 26, 2020
With those questions, you are not even close to opening in 6 weeks.
Infrastructure, networking, management, security, software configs/backup/reflashing...all come LONG before speccing out individual customer systems.

And prices on the systems aren't coming down in that 4-6 week timeframe. Maybe by Christmas. Maybe.

We are going to open our general merchandise side with drinks and snacks as we build up the computer side.

USAFRet

Titan
We are going to open our general merchandise side with drinks and snacks as we build up the computer side.
Other establishments are closing, going bankrupt. And you're opening a new one? In 4 weeks? You've taken the whole COVID-19 restrictions into account?

You better make SURE you know what the guidelines are, because everything I've read indicates that most of the individual county health directors throughout California (And potentially elsewhere, on a region by region basis) are not intending to follow the Governor's recommendations on allowing restaurants, coffee shops, etc., to reopen for "dine in", and since counties have the right to choose what works best for themselves that means your county, or any given county, may or may not be intending to relax the current mandates for each, or any, counties.

Considering you are clearly not fully prepared on the electronic side of things, I'd want to make very sure you have all the information needed on the legal side of things as well. Seems like a bad business venture currently when there is MUCH concern about potentially having everything shut back down again soon if numbers continue to go back up the way they are in some areas.

Reactions: GarrettL