Question Small orange spark

May 1, 2021
3
0
10
0
Hello,

Yesterday I had to replace my CMOS battery in my computer, did the deed and everything went well, reseated GPU and put my computer back in its place. I plugged in my PSU and flipped the I/O switch to on, then a small orange spark around where the switch is and my fingers were happened. No smells, everything turned on fine and has been running fine with completely normal voltages since yesterday. My power supply is a thermaltake toughpower gold 750w rgb and I've had it for about 6 months with no problems before this. Is this normal? Thanks for reponses!
 

Ralston18

Titan
Moderator
My thought is that all is okay. Especially if you are not (and should not be) using the PSU switch to power off the computer.

Many switches can and do "spark" when toggled: ON ---> OFF or OFF ---> ON.

Ideally any physical switch should make the transition from ON to OFF or OFF to ON as physically and as quickly as possible.

And minimize the opportunity for an airborne spark.

However, as manufacturers try to control and reduce costs they often go cheap. So may start using a cheaper but mechanically slower switch.

As a starter google "high voltage switch throws", read a few links and then revise the search criteria as you deem applicable.

If I see a sparking in any sort of switch I replace that switch.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
 
Hello,

Yesterday I had to replace my CMOS battery in my computer, did the deed and everything went well, reseated GPU and put my computer back in its place. I plugged in my PSU and flipped the I/O switch to on, then a small orange spark around where the switch is and my fingers were happened. No smells, everything turned on fine and has been running fine with completely normal voltages since yesterday. My power supply is a thermaltake toughpower gold 750w rgb and I've had it for about 6 months with no problems before this. Is this normal? Thanks for reponses!
You're fine. Bulk cap drained and the rush of power to recharge it (what we call "in rush current" was enough to produce a visible spark.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS