[SOLVED] Small PCB part fell off after reasembling card

Bubble_Double

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
After cleaning up my gpu, i had to asseble it, and when assembling it i heard a weird sound, after opening the card again i noticed a very small piece(around 2mm) fell out of a slot named 04099 (under the memory chips). The card is a gtx 1660 super and just to see i tried turning the pc on, it turned on fine with all fans running, but i wouldn't get any image on my screen. Does anyone know what that part does? And will my card get fixed if i resolder the small part to place?
View: https://imgur.com/a/u3pBuNS

Solution
I think i used the wrong screw when i reassembled my cooler shroud and clipped the small chip. But my computer works fine even without that chip, i even stress tested my gpu for like 15 minutes without any errors. I think it's used for DVI output. Should i send it to a repair shop either way?
If it is the DVI output chip and the GPU is working fine otherwise, I wouldn't mess with it , neither take it to a shop.
Fixing that chip might cause other issues.
There are repair shops that could handle that repair.
A repair shop that has a hot air rework station, microscope, etc...could perform the repair.

If that chip just fell off, then that GPU was not soldered correctly.

By the way, what did you used to clean the GPU that a chip fell off?
I have cleaned countless pieces of hardware, even bathe then in tub with alcohol and have not encounter a chip just falling off.

Bubble_Double

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
There are repair shops that could handle that repair.
A repair shop that has a hot air rework station, microscope, etc...could perform the repair.

If that chip just fell off, then that GPU was not soldered correctly.

By the way, what did you used to clean the GPU that a chip fell off?
I have cleaned countless pieces of hardware, even bathe then in tub with alcohol and have not encounter a chip just falling off.
I think i used the wrong screw when i reassembled my cooler shroud and clipped the small chip. But my computer works fine even without that chip, i even stress tested my gpu for like 15 minutes without any errors. I think it's used for DVI output. Should i send it to a repair shop either way?

If it is the DVI output chip and the GPU is working fine otherwise, I wouldn't mess with it , neither take it to a shop.
Fixing that chip might cause other issues.

Last edited:
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Since it is something like a 0806 SMD component, then it is just a passive component, most likely a capacitor. Boards usually have more than the strict minimum necessary to account for tolerances, drift, aging, etc. so losing one or two is rarely an issue.