Small projects or jobs for software engineering student?

poorbugger

Distinguished
I'm a third year software engineering student now and I'm wondering if it's possible to earn any money from like small projects online? I'm not talking about hundreds of dollars maybe just some coffee cash would be enough. After searching the web, it's all huge projects.

Ralston18

Titan
Google "freelance software development jobs".

Then revise the search criteria accordingly to narrow the search results as necessary for your requirements.

Do be careful - do not pay anyone anything and be sure you understand what you are getting into before accepting a job or some contract.

Mostly to ensure that you get paid and not taken advantage of.

Do not, for example give them bank information so they can "pay you later"....

Reactions: poorbugger

kanewolf

Titan
Although it won't pay anything, my recommendation is to find some GITHUB or other public software that you can contribute to/work off defects. It will provide concrete things for your resume that are not "just classwork". It give your skills a lot more credibility.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Although it won't pay anything, my recommendation is to find some GITHUB or other public software that you can contribute to/work off defects. It will provide concrete things for your resume that are not "just classwork". It give your skills a lot more credibility.
Thanks, i've thought about that but i just wish i can earn some extra bucks.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks, i've thought about that but i just wish i can earn some extra bucks.
" earn some extra bucks"

Come over and cut my lawn.

In the software/computer world...you need some 'thing' that other people will actually pay money for.
  • An application, that is not already covered by one of the thousands of FOSS applications.
  • A service, to fix a PC issue that people are having. Nasty virus, dead drive, whatever.
  • A service to install some esoteric corporate level system. I knew a guy who milked a large company to the tune of $1.5Million, to install and configure a financial app. 18 months later, still didn't work.