Question Small shock when touching cpu cooler.

Apr 16, 2019
Hi. I just built my first rig last night, so please don't be hard on me.

Last night, before I used an AVR for my pc I felt a small shock touching the cpu cooler. But now that I'm using an AVR i never felt any shock. I also let my brother touched the cooler (after grounding) and he didn't felt any shock as well.

I'm just wondering if I'm the one who had the static before or if my pc have a problem with grounding? What do you think?

Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx 400
CPU: i5 9600k
Mobo: msi Z390-a pro

Last edited:
If there was some kind of short to the CPU cooler, you'd know it from the magic factory smoke that would start coming out as soon as you powered it on. You simply had a static charge built up before you touched the CPU cooler, which itself is grounded, and dissipated the charge you had. This is why it is always a good idea to discharge any static electricity by touching something else which is metal and is grounded such as a metal lamp that is plugged in or something similar BEFORE handling your PC after you have walked across carpeted areas.

You should be fine.

Reactions: oawts
Apr 16, 2019
If there was some kind of short to the CPU cooler, you'd know it from the magic factory smoke that would start coming out as soon as you powered it on. You simply had a static charge built up before you touched the CPU cooler, which itself is grounded, and dissipated the charge you had. This is why it is always a good idea to discharge any static electricity by touching something else which is metal and is grounded such as a metal lamp that is plugged in or something similar BEFORE handling your PC after you have walked across carpeted areas.

You should be fine.
Thank you so much. I'm a bit worried that I failed building my first rig. 😭

If you make sure everything listed at the following link has been done, then you are usually pretty much good to go.

TRENDING THREADS