[SOLVED] small spark noise when turn on the pc

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, yesterday the power supply of my pc got upgraded to a Seasonic GC-550. Please see last 2 posts in this linked thread for reference. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...h-for-1660-ti-1660-super-or-rtx-2060.3736344/

this morning, when I turned on the pc. There's a small "spark noise" when turn on the pc. The spark sound is similar to when you plug something into a wall outlet. The old PSU does not do this sound, so it has me a bit worried that some cables might be touching where they should not. Or something is out of place. Can't take pics of the inside of the case now, it's morning and I need to go to work in 30 minutes. But will take pics of the inside of the case when get back home.

btw, nothing smells burnt. The pc runs silently after that "one spark noise" on turning it on. The noise is not loud, it's a tiny noise when you plug something into the wall outlet, and the wall outlet makes a spark.

the temps also seem normal in HWmonitor. Is there something I should look for and where?

iz3of7.jpg

temps when gaming

qgadvh.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
I see...

now, the only question is we're going back to why my old PSU does not do any sound when I turn the pc on from the front. But this new PSU has a faint sound when I turn it on. Could it because the old PSU is only a 250 watt stock psu, while this new one is 550 watt and a different brand?

A few reasons.

Not all PSUs have in rush current limiter relays.

A lower wattage PSU will have smaller bulk caps and therefore less in rush current.
Hi, yesterday the power supply of my pc got upgraded to a Seasonic GC-550. Please see last 2 posts in this linked thread for reference. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...h-for-1660-ti-1660-super-or-rtx-2060.3736344/

this morning, when I turned on the pc. There's a small "spark noise" when turn on the pc. The spark sound is similar to when you plug something into a wall outlet. The old PSU does not do this sound, so it has me a bit worried that some cables might be touching where they should not. Or something is out of place. Can't take pics of the inside of the case now, it's morning and I need to go to work in 30 minutes. But will take pics of the inside of the case when get back home.

btw, nothing smells burnt. The pc runs silently after that "one spark noise" on turning it on. The noise is not loud, it's a tiny noise when you plug something into the wall outlet, and the wall outlet makes a spark.

the temps also seem normal in HWmonitor. Is there something I should look for and where?

HWMonitor doesn't tell you anything about your PSU.

How are you turning on the PC when you hear this noise? Switch on the back or button on the front?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@jonnyguru

first I turn on the switch of the PSU at the back of the case. I hear the faint spark sound.

then turn it on from the front power switch. I hear the faint spark sound again.

____

@Juular

hopefully, it's only that. The spark sound is really faint.. the speaker makes a louder noise when it's turned on.

___

this is the inside of my case.

5hkpy1.JPG

I thought it was ok to do that. If that's a bad thing, then I won't do it anymore.

anyway, have done that only twice. It's only the second day that the new PSU is in my house.

Yeah. It's the same noise you hear when you plug it in because you're pretty much doing the same thing. There's a huge capacitor in the PSU that stores energy. If you flip off the PSU switch, that capacitor eventually drains. When you flip it back on, there's a huge in rush of power that has to charge that cap all the way back up again. That's making the arcing noise.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
hmm, that's strange, the first time I turned it on - which is after arriving from the mall.. it made the spark sound even though I turned it on from the front. Did not touch the back.

from now on will turn on the pc from the front and not touch the back psu switch anymore.
will observe if the faint spark sound continue.

hmm, that's strange, the first time I turned it on - which is after arriving from the mall.. it made the spark sound even though I turned it on from the front. Did not touch the back.

from now on will turn on the pc from the front and not touch the back psu switch anymore.
will observe if the faint spark sound continue.

Well, there's two potential sounds. The "spark" of the inrush, and a "click" from the inrush limiting relay. The "spark" would occur from the switch in the back. The click would happen when you press the button on your case.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I see...

now, the only question is we're going back to why my old PSU does not do any sound when I turn the pc on from the front. But this new PSU has a faint sound when I turn it on. Could it because the old PSU is only a 250 watt stock psu, while this new one is 550 watt and a different brand?

I see...

A few reasons.

Not all PSUs have in rush current limiter relays.

A lower wattage PSU will have smaller bulk caps and therefore less in rush current.

Solution

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
just a little update on this thread. Purchased another Seasonic GC 550 80+ Gold, and installed it on backup pc (on sig). Installation went well. There is that same tiny noise when I turn on the pc, so I guess that small noise is just the PSU turning on. Nothing to be scared of. :)

Reactions: Jo_Hardy